jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

What saying do you hate seeing mangled?

1. jlpark profile image84
    jlparkposted 3 years ago

What saying do you hate seeing mangled?

Some of the common sayings we have today are often said wrong - and people don't even know they've mangled them. Eg - pacific instead of specific, or 'for all intensive purposes' instead of 'for all intents and purposes'. What is the one that peeves you the most when it's mangled? (Sure - have as many as peeve you in yr answer!)

2. Arco Hess Designs profile image71
    Arco Hess Designsposted 3 years ago

"I couldn't care less." being turned into "I could care less" has always bitt my hiney.

jlparkposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for that one - I'm guilty of it! Sorry!

3. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 3 years ago

The difference between there and their has always bothered me.

jlparkposted 3 years agoin reply to this

And they're - tho that's often the one they use either of the other two for! Thanks for yr input

4. Billie Kelpin profile image87
    Billie Kelpinposted 3 years ago

What really, really, really peeves me isn't a saying, but the use of ME and HIM as subjects of the sentence!!!!!!!!!!  Me and him went to the movie. Him and me are best friends. I know language changes but this is just too much for my weary soul.  And it goes both ways. Not only are we using the accusative (objective) case in the nominative position, but we're using the nominative case in the objective position - "just between you and I"  To that I say iii yii yii.  But language grows and changes and we can't be dinosaurs, but the day that President Obama or Bill Moyers or Diane Sawyer uses it incorrectly (which they never do) is the day I'm going to simply throw up my hands and cry.

working