jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (13 posts)

Is it OK to write autobiographical material on Hub Pages?

1. Artois52 profile image90
    Artois52posted 3 years ago

Is it OK to write autobiographical material on Hub Pages?

I have been writing my own personal story of my time in a psychiatric hospital for some time, and I have been wondering if it would be acceptable to publish this, chapter by chapter, on Hub Pages.

Ultimately, I would like to publish the completed work, as an e-book, on Amazon or Kindle. But, in the meantime, publishing chapters here, and getting some feedback, would give me the incentive to put more effort into the project.

I would be really grateful for other writer’s advice on this. Do you think this is a good idea?

Thanks.

2. gposchman profile image84
    gposchmanposted 3 years ago

I have visited your profile and looked at what you have written, and you seem to have a fair following. I would write your chapters, and edit them as individual hubs, but do not post until you are satisfied that the are ready for prime time. I suspect you already know this. Don't worry about feedback, you have a story to tell. When you have completed the book be prepared to pull down and go for publishing it. If you decide to self publish go with create space and or smash words.

Good Luck

Gene Poschman

Artois52posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Many thanks for your advice Gene. I appreciate your input.

3. bat115 profile image78
    bat115posted 3 years ago

I haven't really been around Hubpages lately but know several hubbers who have done this very thing to great success so I say go for it!

Thanks bat115. It's starting to sound like a good idea!

4. Dreamlin profile image72
    Dreamlinposted 3 years ago

I'm doing the same thing. Post my personal story on-line, hope to attract people's attention (http://dreamlin.hubpages.com/hub/Reversal-of-Destiny). In the future, we can always delete Hubs if we want to publish the material in a book.

Thanks for the advice Dreamlin. I think I will start publishing my book here.

5. Ericdierker profile image53
    Ericdierkerposted 3 years ago

I do not know what policies there are here for or against doing what you suggest. But I say "go for it!" It seems to me that we are a community of writers here and that you will get marvelous feedback and promotion. I imagine you have a great story to tell and it would be very good of you to share that with us. You can do a great deal of good with publishing any story that sheds light on a too often ignored reality in our world and this can help many. Even if it is just a beginning point for people to discuss your experience that could really be the spark that is all it takes.

Thanks Eric. I do think that there are still many people who have some very strange views of what mental illness is all about. It would be good to think that, even if only in a very small way, I could help put the record straight.

6. alancaster149 profile image86
    alancaster149posted 3 years ago

I've added the bare bones to my Profile, an-up-to-date summary (updated periodically). I use it basically as a 'Billboard' to promote my books. Other parts of my earlier life emerge in writings - see the 'STORYLINE' series, in parts fictionalised.
    Your writing - the Hub-pages - could in a way bring out parts of your autobiography (as gposchman says below).
    If you've lived a riotous life you'll get plenty of 'fan mail' in the comments box. Time to get busy...

Thanks Alan. It has been very encouraging to read the positive feedback to my question. I love what you are doing with your hubs and will be following from now on.

7. profile image0
    rescuedwhoposted 3 years ago

I would love to read it.  Sometimes I find HubPages has some tight boundaries.  My organization tried to post a blog about what we do, because I truly thought it might be interesting to people, but it was held back for revision by HubPages.  Maybe it was lousy, but mostly I suspected they thought it was more of an ad for us, which I understand would be unacceptable.  I hope your story would be published here.  I look forward to it!

Thanks rescued who. I was a bit worried about whether or not I will be able to get autobiographical content featured. I guess I'll have to include images and perhaps some factual content as well.

working