Is it OK to write autobiographical material on Hub Pages?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (13 posts)
  1. Artois52 profile image82
    Artois52posted 9 years ago

Is it OK to write autobiographical material on Hub Pages?

I have been writing my own personal story of my time in a psychiatric hospital for some time, and I have been wondering if it would be acceptable to publish this, chapter by chapter, on Hub Pages.

Ultimately, I would like to publish the completed work, as an e-book, on Amazon or Kindle. But, in the meantime, publishing chapters here, and getting some feedback, would give me the incentive to put more effort into the project.

I would be really grateful for other writer’s advice on this. Do you think this is a good idea?

Thanks.

2. gposchman profile image60
    gposchmanposted 9 years ago

I have visited your profile and looked at what you have written, and you seem to have a fair following. I would write your chapters, and edit them as individual hubs, but do not post until you are satisfied that the are ready for prime time. I suspect you already know this. Don't worry about feedback, you have a story to tell. When you have completed the book be prepared to pull down and go for publishing it. If you decide to self publish go with create space and or smash words.

Good Luck

Gene Poschman

Artois52posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Many thanks for your advice Gene. I appreciate your input.

3. bat115 profile image78
    bat115posted 9 years ago

I haven't really been around Hubpages lately but know several hubbers who have done this very thing to great success so I say go for it!

Thanks bat115. It's starting to sound like a good idea!

4. Dreamlin profile image54
    Dreamlinposted 9 years ago

I'm doing the same thing. Post my personal story on-line, hope to attract people's attention (http://dreamlin.hubpages.com/hub/Reversal-of-Destiny). In the future, we can always delete Hubs if we want to publish the material in a book.

Thanks for the advice Dreamlin. I think I will start publishing my book here.

5. Ericdierker profile image44
    Ericdierkerposted 9 years ago

I do not know what policies there are here for or against doing what you suggest. But I say "go for it!" It seems to me that we are a community of writers here and that you will get marvelous feedback and promotion. I imagine you have a great story to tell and it would be very good of you to share that with us. You can do a great deal of good with publishing any story that sheds light on a too often ignored reality in our world and this can help many. Even if it is just a beginning point for people to discuss your experience that could really be the spark that is all it takes.

Thanks Eric. I do think that there are still many people who have some very strange views of what mental illness is all about. It would be good to think that, even if only in a very small way, I could help put the record straight.

6. alancaster149 profile image75
    alancaster149posted 9 years ago

I've added the bare bones to my Profile, an-up-to-date summary (updated periodically). I use it basically as a 'Billboard' to promote my books. Other parts of my earlier life emerge in writings - see the 'STORYLINE' series, in parts fictionalised.
    Your writing - the Hub-pages - could in a way bring out parts of your autobiography (as gposchman says below).
    If you've lived a riotous life you'll get plenty of 'fan mail' in the comments box. Time to get busy...

Thanks Alan. It has been very encouraging to read the positive feedback to my question. I love what you are doing with your hubs and will be following from now on.

7. profile image0
    rescuedwhoposted 9 years ago

I would love to read it.  Sometimes I find HubPages has some tight boundaries.  My organization tried to post a blog about what we do, because I truly thought it might be interesting to people, but it was held back for revision by HubPages.  Maybe it was lousy, but mostly I suspected they thought it was more of an ad for us, which I understand would be unacceptable.  I hope your story would be published here.  I look forward to it!

Thanks rescued who. I was a bit worried about whether or not I will be able to get autobiographical content featured. I guess I'll have to include images and perhaps some factual content as well.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)