jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

I feel like I have a million stories to write, but no words to write them with.

1. Jo Harley profile image60
    Jo Harleyposted 3 years ago

I feel like I have a million stories to write, but no words to write them with.

I know I get like this when I'm feeling a lot of feelings so I suppose it's OK and I should take my time. Feelings are much more important than words, stories, and poems.

2. Romanian profile image73
    Romanianposted 3 years ago

I sometimes feel the same. It's also a bit difficult when you write in another language. That's why only a few people manage to perfectly express their feelings.

3. monic-alang profile image75
    monic-alangposted 3 years ago

The same condition here i really want to write a story but have no words but now I am planning to do it. I'll write it in a rough style and in rough words and then I’ll sort the words after rereading smile

4. JayDee Sterling profile image61
    JayDee Sterlingposted 3 years ago

You didn't really ask a question, so my response may not qualify as an answer. However, don't put so much emphasis on whether or not you have the words. Focus on your feelings and react to your motivation, observation and situation.  Feelings don't mean much if you don't express the way in which you feel.  It is how you choose to convey what you are feeling that makes an impact. So how you feel and the way you explain how you feel is all connected. Write what you know and if you don't know it, you can always make it up.

5. Marie Flint profile image91
    Marie Flintposted 3 years ago

What type of stories did you have in mind, Jo? Maybe I can help. I'm good with words and like to create mood to convey feelings.

I do suggest you write a one- or two-sentence statement about the story's theme. You can do this for one or more of your story ideas. (Ray Bradbury suggested writing 400 short stories on the path of becoming a writer!)

Does one idea grab you a little more than the others? Begin outlining a bit. Where's the setting? Year? How many characters make up your story? Write a short character sketch of each--age, coloring, unique features, ideas or beliefs they hold, etc.

The first paragraph is going to grab your reader with as much action as possible while introducing the scene and the characters involved in that scene.

What happens next? Continue working the story until you've satisfactorily expressed what message you're trying to convey. Every story has rising action, a climax, falling action, and an ending.

Go for it! Let me know if you need help. I'll try to answer in a timely fashion.

Blessings!

1. Jo Harley profile image60
      Jo Harleyposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I've had lots of training for writing stories. I know how, but it's not working like it did several months ago. I use my childhood as the plot. It usually works, but lately I have to force myself. I don't know if I should or just let it go ...

2. Marie Flint profile image91
      Marie Flintposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Jo, personally, I don't think "force" is ever a good thing; however, sometimes it does work. I would recommend letting up on yourself a bit--go for a walk, engage in a hobby other than writing, but do make a journal entry if you keep a journal.

6. Rochelle Frank profile image93
    Rochelle Frankposted 3 years ago

Get a dictionary... but more seriously, write the words you would use if you were telling something to a friend.  Taking your time is fine.  -- so maybe I should say write as if you were writing to a close friend.
    I am a slow writer-- I usually self-edit a lot, but I always try to sound like I am telling something to an individual person, not using I alot of fancy words, but intending to be understood.
    Write out your thoughts. Read them. Edit for clarity.
    Go for it.

Closed to reply

working