jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (15 posts)

What is the most recent poetry collection or anthology you have read? Would you

1. jhamann profile image89
    jhamannposted 2 years ago

What is the most recent poetry collection or anthology you have read?  Would you recommend it?

2. Anne Harrison profile image98
    Anne Harrisonposted 2 years ago

I'm currently reading World Poetry - An Anthology (Katharine Washburn & John S. Major); it's excellent as it starts with poems dating to 2000 BC, working through different cultures to modern times (not simply Western poetry). It's amazing how 'modern'  ancient poetry is, how readable and how relevant.

jhamannposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I am almost always amazed when I look at poets from around the world especially if the anthology includes ancient anonymous poems.  Thank you for sharing.  Jamie

3. Jodah profile image91
    Jodahposted 2 years ago

Jamie, I am currently reading "We Go On, Charity Anthology for Veterans" compiled by Kiki Howell. It is a collection of poetry and stories written by and about war veterans and their experiences both and the field and after their return from service. All proceeds go to various veterans charities. I actually have a story in there, but I am recommending it because the poetry and stories are very moving and most very well written.

John that sounds incredible and useful I am putting together a little war poetry chapbook for my dad. Jamie

2. Jodah profile image91
      Jodahposted 2 years agoin reply to this

That's great Jamie, good luck with it. I dedicated my story in "We Go On" to my dad and uncles who fought in WWII also.

4. Besarien profile image86
    Besarienposted 2 years ago

Well I read a lackluster one very recently that I don't even want to mention really.

The last collection I read that I'd recommend was Don't Tell Anyone (The Hollyridge Press Chapbook Series) by Tony Hoagland. I like how Hoagland digs into contemporary superficiality until he finds something with value buried there. His poetry is a sort of cultural archeology. I'd recommend anything by him including his essays on poetry which are fascinating.

Thank Besarien for the recommendation.  This collection sounds interesting.  Jamie

5. chef-de-jour profile image95
    chef-de-jourposted 2 years ago

I have a Norton 2005, the thin papered US version that has over 2000 pages and is a sort of bible! It has a whole load of poetry in it, from the earliest to the latest - US, UK poets mostly. It's a great reference book, arguably spread a bit too thin, but if you want to have a selection of the great classical poems written over the centuries, plus a few modern, it's good value for money.

Ariel by Sylvia Plath is still worth going through. Her poems on bees are fascinating and the other darker material holds surprises and shocks.

I have two of the Best American poetry anthologies - from 2011 and 2003 - it comes out each year - edited by guest poets each year they're full of poems published in that year by known and unknown poets. A real eclectic mix.

I have my torn up Norton's and find it is worth it's weight in gold.  Ariel is a beautiful book with many surprises, this is a book also worth it's weight in gold.  Jamie

6. Erik Mion profile image81
    Erik Mionposted 2 years ago

"Best Loved Poems of the American People." I would definitely recommend it. It has all the classics and covers a variety of topics.

This sounds like an interesting Anthology.  Does it center on earlier American poets or more contemporary or a healthy mix of both?  Jamie

7. manatita44 profile image83
    manatita44posted 2 years ago

Rumi's Methnavi, Bro. It elevates the mind.

I have my copy of Rumi full of dog ears.  Jamie

2. manatita44 profile image83
      manatita44posted 2 years agoin reply to this

He he. You.re a good and wise man. Not surprised.

working