jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (17 posts)

Fellow poets, what are some of the ways you share your older poems?

1. jhamann profile image91
    jhamannposted 3 years ago

Fellow poets, what are some of the ways you share your older poems?

2. chef-de-jour profile image96
    chef-de-jourposted 3 years ago

I've been busy reworking some of my older poems- many are no more than lines/ideas/snippets - they need the loose ends tied up! Every so often I:

send a bunch off to a magazine,
    I send them to blogs,
    I share them with friends and other poets.

It's a fascinating task as some of them go back years. I'm guilty of not finishing poems off, if they're ever finally finished! Hence the backlog of older material.

jhamannposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Chef-de-jour, these poems really collect.  When I began organizing things I realized that I have been busy, so many to organize and collect.  Thank you for your input it is very useful.  Jamie

3. manatita44 profile image83
    manatita44posted 3 years ago

Via Poetry Cafe where I read or recite poetry. I've some here on Hub Pages, and one or two I've revised and sent to our Meditation Centre poetry book called Panorama.

Many of my new poems far surpass the old, so some I do not touch at all. Peace bro.

Do you ever think about the old poems?  How about a collection to share at your Meditation Center?

2. manatita44 profile image83
      manatita44posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Easier to refine them, Jamie. With my current level of intuition I simply refine them and then recite. More uplifting. Still, some old ones are outstanding. They are in my first book, so available if necessary. Some are on here.

4. Jackie Lynnley profile image89
    Jackie Lynnleyposted 3 years ago

I bring out old ones and spruce them up and work them into a hub if they are in my opinion; good, and give a little info about things of interest in the poem. It is a good way to get them in HP with a good word count and under another title other than poetry.

Bring back the older poems here on hubpages, I feel that a lot of times they get more reads the second time around.

5. Jodah profile image89
    Jodahposted 3 years ago

Jamie, My first couple of hubs were compilations of my older poems I wrote years back. now and then I come across an old one I had forgotten about, update an improve it as needed and use it in a hub.

I can see you put in a fair amount of work for each hub.  Your poetry hubs are usually extremely engaging.

6. profile image0
    christinemariezzzposted 3 years ago

1. ask for them
    Some of my older poems, are specific to a person. One I wrote is to my Dad.  I did not make a copy when I gave it to him.  There was a time when I wanted to read it, I asked him for a copy. So, sometimes I ask others if I can read an old poem I wrote and sent them.
    2. journal with them
    Some of my poems are specific to a season of my life. Some I have kept in a journal, pulling them out and reading, and reciting them in a small circle of people I feel close. This usually is a loose unorganized somewhat spontaneous sharing.
    3. keep on file for my and others use
    Some are kept in files to return to, and use, if time permits in an autobiography or biography- more a dream than a reality.

I have found filing is extremely important.  I have begun to organize by form or theme and have them in a tabbed folder.  It is important to be able to find a poem when needed.

2. profile image0
      christinemariezzzposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Jamie, I see now that most responses are coming from the standpoint of sharing poetry on their hubpages...in all cases, filing is good.
      ~ christinemarie

7. Diana Lee profile image83
    Diana Leeposted 3 years ago

I have revised some old poems posted by placing pictures between the verses to brighten the appearance of the overall hub.

This is a wonderful idea to refurbish old hubs.

8. Gypsy Rose Lee profile image87
    Gypsy Rose Leeposted 3 years ago

Some I have redone others I leave as is and share on social networks and in social network groups which I have joined but haven't yet shared my older poems.

I have been thinking about social media.  It is a good idea Gypsy, but I can't seem to find the bravery.

working