jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (12 posts)

Who has the best folklore?

1. Jacqueline4390 profile image86
    Jacqueline4390posted 3 years ago

Who has the best folklore?

There have been some very exciting movies based on magic, mythology and tragedy.  Which country possesses the best folklore and what is your favorite story?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12342822_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    Stargrrlposted 3 years ago

Good question.  I liked The 13th Warrior, which was a movie based on Beowulf, starring Antonio Banduras.  There's also the original Clash of the Titans.  It was remade, but could've been better.  I think Europe has good folklore.

Jacqueline4390posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Very good answer!

3. Colin Quartermain profile image94
    Colin Quartermainposted 3 years ago

I've always enjoyed Greek mythology and remember reading the Iliad when I was quite young.

Of course the stories of Ancient Greece have been adapted for such films as Troy, Jason and the Argonauts and Clash of the Titans. These though only ever tell part of the story.

Saying that the story of Jason is a good one, and turns much darker after the Golden Fleece is successfully taken from Colchis

1. profile image0
      Stargrrlposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Yes, Greek mythology is awesome.  Good stories.

2. Jacqueline4390 profile image86

I enjoy Greek mythology as well.

4. dohn121 profile image82
    dohn121posted 3 years ago

This is a really good question...When I think of all the countries, nations, and peoples in existence or have existed; including the Native Americans, the ancient Sumerians, and the Mayans and Incas, the Chinese and Indians (the people of India) are at a dead tie. The two contries have existed in ancient times and still exist today and so have compiled perhaps the most impressive portfolio of folktales.  For the Chinese, the story of Monkey and the Yellow Emperor or Huangdi come to mind. For India, it's the Bhagavad Gita and Mahabharata in which the story derives--the lengthiest of them all.  All are mystical, magical and mysterious in their own right and enfused with morals and ethics. So, as far as the title of best continent for folklore goes? Asia all the way!

So instead of seeing another remake by either Disney or Dreamworks, I hope that other movie production companies introduce some of the other folktales and legends into the fold.  One movie in particular that I found very entertaining is "Brotherhood of the Wolf."  It's a french movie and very good. Check it out whenever you get the chance!

Extremely informative! Now that you have mention Indian (as reference to the people of India) what about Native American Folklore?

5. chuckandus6 profile image75
    chuckandus6posted 3 years ago

I think that my favorite is the land Narnia the wizard the witch and the wardrobe

1. Babbyii profile image80
      Babbyiiposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Love the Narnia Chronicles

6. Jodah profile image90
    Jodahposted 3 years ago

Australian Aboriginal "Dreamtime" folklore, but you won't find many movies based on it.

Interesting ... didn't know there was any. Thanks for the info!

working