jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

What is IT about the witching hour or the wee hours of the night that causes spa

1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago

What is IT about the witching hour or the wee hours of the night that causes spammers to......

SUDDENLY APPEAR......in the question/answer or forum sections?  Isn't quite strange that from 1 a.m. to about 5 a.m., there are spammers lurking about....They seem to materialize........out of nowhere, specifically in the question/answer section and sometimes in the forums.......The night does makes some do.......strange things...

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12380121_f260.jpg

2. UnnamedHarald profile image99
    UnnamedHaraldposted 2 years ago

Ooh ooh... I know the answer to this one: It's all the infomercials that are on all the channels on TV after midnight. Apparently, people who work second shift like to buy useless crap. I mean, who wouldn't buy a genuine reproduction of a buffalo nickel three times normal size clad in 0.00000005 mg of PURE GOLD for only three payments of $29.99? Normal people who can't sleep are so irritated they take it out on the Internet.

1. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Ha, ha, you made my laugh so hard, my tea went up my nose.  THEY seem to congregate at.......THAT TIME OF NIGHT.  Something is.......totally amiss....SOMETHING is in ..........THE AIR......

3. lisavollrath profile image95
    lisavollrathposted 2 years ago

I think it's a combination of things. Traffic online is lower at that time, so it's the perfect opportunity to deploy automated systems that might take a lot of resources to run. Human spammers may be in parts of the world where the hour is more reasonable, and may also know that moderators in the US won't be online at that time.

4. M. T. Dremer profile image94
    M. T. Dremerposted 2 years ago

I assume it's because the moderators went home for the night. Plus, with less users online to report them, their spam gets to remain visible longer. I noticed that they do the same thing on weekends. The Q&A gets dangerously bloated with spam on Saturdays and Sundays, I assume, because most of the HP staff is off of work.

5. tamarawilhite profile image91
    tamarawilhiteposted 2 years ago

Or it is the day shift in India when they come on line.

Or the automated scripts on American servers are kicking in after midnight to 4 AM reboots (common in IT because few people using your systems then) to send out spam.

working