jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (6 posts)

Newspapers Giving Way to Internet ?

1. Jane Grey profile image89
    Jane Greyposted 7 years ago

In my hometown a long-time major newspaper went out of business recently. It was an historical newspaper, had been in operation just about as long as our state has been a state. They attributed the business failure to the new ways that people get information.
    My question is: What do you think about the internet as a form of communication? Is it as conducive to focus, thought, and concentration as the printed-on-paper word? Will it reach more people effectively than newspapers, magazines, and journals? Or have we, in truth, traded readability and effectiveness for quantity?

1. Arthur Fontes profile image84
      Arthur Fontesposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I think that when the Internet started gaining popularity the newspapers hurried to get an Internet presence.  They thought of the increase in revenue from advertising and gave the content of their newspapers away for free online.  Eventually those that discovered the content online were less willing to pay for a newspaper that could be accessed freely.  Now to think of charging these people to read the online content would be almost impossible.  The newspapers destroyed their own industry in the hopes of greater revenue.

1. Jane Grey profile image89
        Jane Greyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Great point! I saw that happen with the newspaper in my own town. I'm still wondering, though, is one higher quality than the other (printed paper vs. internet and screen) for good communication?

1. Arthur Fontes profile image84
          Arthur Fontesposted 7 years agoin reply to this

What I like about reading my local paper online is that they allow comments under the stories just like hubpages.  I have just as much satisfaction from the comments as the column.

2. MikeNV profile image80
      MikeNVposted 7 years agoin reply to this

New technology pushes old technology out.

If it didn't we would all still be using horses to get around.

2. profile image0
    cosetteposted 7 years ago

probably. nine times out of ten i will hear about a story online well before i read it in the newspaper or see it on tv.

working