jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

What value are newspapers today?

1. tsmog profile image83
    tsmogposted 2 years ago

What value are newspapers today?

2. FatFreddysCat profile image99
    FatFreddysCatposted 2 years ago

I work in the newspaper industry, which as anyone can tell you, is not exactly the hippest place to be anymore, so I find myself asking this question all the time (haha).

In terms of "value" I don't think papers can compete with the big news web sites or TV stations on major stories of national/international importance anymore, but they can still provide service to their readers on a local level, i.e. how the big stories of the day affect the businesses/people in your area. That's where most print publications are trying to narrow their focus now. They know that if something big happens, people aren't going to wait till the next day's paper to read about it, they're going to jump on Yahoo or CNN or Fox News right away. In the morning, however, a local daily or even a weekly newspaper can take that same story and "fill in the blanks" by going into more detail than a TV news report or blog can provide.

Plus, we got color comics and lots of coupons on Sundays. big_smile

1. Kiss andTales profile image81
      Kiss andTalesposted 2 years agoin reply to this

News paper is still valuble , there may come a time when the computer of the Internet may not be available , but an old fashion news paper will be sought after.
      Some times I take the time and buy from a local box, the price gets higher every year,

3. poetryman6969 profile image62
    poetryman6969posted 2 years ago

Since we don't have a birdcage that needs lining, not much!

4. profile image0
    Kevin Goodwinposted 2 years ago

Newspapers themselves are no longer necessary but people still need a way to get the news. Whether they turn to the television or go online they are still getting the news through some time of media source.

5. Stacie L profile image90
    Stacie Lposted 2 years ago

The newspaper is valuable to those who don't have an internet or computer or television. Yes, i know some that live this way.
    Also some of us that grew up reading the morning paper, just like the routine of holding the paper and lingering over the page.
    That also holds true for books!

6. kj force profile image73
    kj forceposted 2 years ago

The newspaper  is another way of getting a perspective from another's viewpoint, or opinion.
    Not everyone has a computer to keep updated with the local and worldwide news. Newspaper can also be recycled...and used towards production of products...and what about all those school projects ? paper mache..etc..haha...
    Who knows there may come a time when the internet is not available...I guess you could ask the same question about hard covered bound books....hmmm...iust my thoughts....

7. Venkatachari M profile image56
    Venkatachari Mposted 2 years ago

Newspapers are valuable in every respect. They provide you the news in a nutshell. You have the main headline news on front page, then your local news, nation news, world news, business news, movies, sports, market watch, weather, etc. all organised at the set places. So you can immediately find your niche by going to the fixed page or column immediately. And what is more important for people like me is the editorial page which highlights valuable thoughts and opinions of the editor and proficient columnists giving insight into major topics on political, social and lifestyle aspects.
    Some more funny but valuable facts include the paper used for decorating your racks, binding books, as a base for cutting vegetables or doing any work without spoiling the floor or platform and as a learning tool for making crafts, play toys and designs with it. And one more value, not the least, is getting some income by selling the old papers to the waste paper buyers.

working