jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (9 posts)

What are the slang terms for am not, got to, and want to?

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image98
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 2 years ago

What are the slang terms for am not, got to, and want to?

2. cperuzzi profile image98
    cperuzziposted 2 years ago

It all depends on what culture you're referring to.  However, the more universal slang terms for what you're asking are as follows.

"am not" - ain't
    "got to" - gotta
    "want to" - wanna

I must also amend this slightly because the more recent usage of the term "Ima gonna".  Which while used in modern vernacular is certainly not a good term that would reflect a person with even minimum intelligence or usage of colloquial speech. 

Let it be said that any slang term should not be reflective of proper English but be an effective tool in written dialogue to illustrate the intelligence (or lack thereof) of a character.

TIMETRAVELER2posted 2 years agoin reply to this

Correct...and I totally agree with you.  It was just a "fun" question.

2. cperuzzi profile image98
      cperuzziposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I thought as much.  I ran across "I'ma gonna" last week and it was like nails on a chalk board.

3. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image98

I'ma Gonna might be spoken by someone of Italian descent who is new to the English language because of the way vowels are used in his own language.  "I'ma gonna maka some vino now"!

4. cperuzzi profile image98
      cperuzziposted 2 years agoin reply to this

A'ight.

5. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image98

Too funny!!

3. fpherj48 profile image77
    fpherj48posted 2 years ago

TT2.......Ain't---Gotta---& Wanna......and it actually bothered me to print these slang words !   Not that I don't accept them or even that I don't use them from time to time (depending on the discussion)....but there are so many slang words in our beautiful English language, I feel it's become "too normal"  for children to use them as a rule.

Between the slang that has been around forever and some of the "created terms" by our youth.....I'm beginning to need a translator!!  LOL.   My grandchildren seem to get a charge out of it when I ask, "What does that mean?"......Know what I mean, TT2??   LOL

Deed I do!!

working