jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Anyway or anyways? Which is correct?

1. Kat-martin profile image61
    Kat-martinposted 2 years ago

Anyway or anyways? Which is correct?

2. RTalloni profile image88
    RTalloniposted 2 years ago

Isn't English fun?  I'll try to answer but am interested in others' responses.

Anyway is used instead of the term "in any case", and perhaps the phrases "in spite of" and "no matter about that".  An example is, "Anyway, she did not know the truth so she couldn't know how best to respond."

Anyways is not properly used in formal writing (and many people would never use it in conversation), though it might be used to reflect a dialect in a work of fiction.  In the south, we sometimes hear something like, "Well, anyways, I was saying that your porch sure looks better with the newly painted ceiling."

The two word any way is used instead of phrases like "any manner possible" and "by any means possible," seen clearly in a sentence like, "He tries to avoid truth by any possible way."

3. liesl5858 profile image88
    liesl5858posted 2 years ago

Anyway is the correct word but I think anyways is just a slang word for anyway. Some people here in the south use it but I think the correct word is anyway. That is what I learned in English lesson.
    I think due to texts and emails, some words are being altered or written in short cuts.

4. Aime F profile image84
    Aime Fposted 2 years ago

Anyway. No 's'. "Anyways" drives me absolutely nuts. It's right up there with "irregardless" I think.

1. Kat-martin profile image61
      Kat-martinposted 2 years agoin reply to this

"Over exaggerate" drives me nuts.

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image96
      DzyMsLizzyposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Indeed!  That's as bad as "déjà vu all over again!"

5. Kat-martin profile image61
    Kat-martinposted 2 years ago

RTalloni & Linda. Thank you both. When speaking, I avoid using either one. I hear more people saying anyways than anyway, and it just sounds wrong. I've even said "anyhoo" (don't have to wonder if I should add an S at the end). So ANYWAY, I think you have cleared that up for me smile

1. RTalloni profile image88
      RTalloniposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I agree, it does sound wrong.  Casual conversation can be many things, but if words/phrases grate there's not much to do but grin and bear it.  smile 
      Anyway, just any way isn't okay.  smile  Going over the options for clarity is a good reminder.

working