Can I still use a public domain picture that has been deleted from Wikimedia Com

1. Say Yes To Life profile image79
    Say Yes To Lifeposted 2 years ago

Can I still use a public domain picture that has been deleted from Wikimedia Commons?

It would be no problem switching pictures on my HubPages articles, but I have used several public domain Wikimedia Commons pictures in a book I self-published.  I have listed their sites in the Reference section of my books.  I have since discovered some of those pictures have been deleted, and the links broken.  Do I have to find other pictures, and re-publish my books?

2. tsmog profile image83
    tsmogposted 2 years ago

To my knowledge the Creative Commons attribute for usage with license is for the image itself. Wikimediacommons is only the source location. Since I am unsure I can only recommend checking with a browser search or go to the Creative Commons site.  Maybe someone else has additional information?

That brings up another question for this new information you have brought to the forefront. With our specific attribution at an image in a Hub should we perhaps in parenthesis place a year date with the source. For example:

Name of Image Contributor, CC-BY 3.0 Unported license, Wikimedia Commons (2015)

Or, provide that information with the image Caption (Optional) window. Then at least if the image is removed from Wikimediacommons then the time of origin is declared with the Creative Commons license.

1. Say Yes To Life profile image79
      Say Yes To Lifeposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Wow - that's a good idea. Maybe I can get the info from the deleted picture from Wikipedia Commons?

working