jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

When formatting a Word Doc Kindle eBook, do you indent the paragraphs?

1. Availiasvision profile image82
    Availiasvisionposted 2 years ago

When formatting a Word Doc Kindle eBook, do you indent the paragraphs?

I have heard a couple of writers say that for non-fiction eBooks, you don't indent. I have also heard that Kindle will add indentations. Is this true? Is it kosher to not indent?

2. Kathleen Cochran profile image83
    Kathleen Cochranposted 2 years ago

I don't use the indent tab because on Kindle it moves the text too far.  I indent 5 spaces by hand for my paperback edition and send the same text to Kindle.  So far it has worked fine.

3. Radical Rog profile image80
    Radical Rogposted 2 years ago

Indents should be set in paragraph format, not by spacebar or tab. There would be no indent on the first paragraph of any chapter or the first paragraph after any line break, used to show a change of scene etc. However, the Kindle system applies indents that can be added to any indent you apply, thus doubling or more what you really require. When uploading a Word file, it is best to remove all formatting before uploading, then check everything using the Kindle preview.

1. Twilight Lawns profile image83
      Twilight Lawnsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Well done, Peter Rogers.
      This is exactly what I was going to say as far as using the FORMATTING INDENTATION tool and choosing what number of spaces/characters to indent.

You can also separate your paragraphs by how much you require by selecting the

4. Twilight Lawns profile image83
    Twilight Lawnsposted 2 years ago

As I said to Peter Rogers,

Never, ever manually indent as Kindle and most other publishing software can not cope with this and you will have bizarre spacing.

You can make elegant indentation by using the FORMATTING INDENTATION tool and choosing what number of spaces/characters to indent.

You can also separate your paragraphs by how much you require by selecting the options in SPACING AFTER or BEFORE and choosing you own POINTS.

Hoping this has been useful.
    Cheers
    Ian

1. Radical Rog profile image80
      Radical Rogposted 2 years agoin reply to this

It's not only with Kindle that using the space or tab bar to indent causes problems. This also occurs when importing into any page layout or DTP app in preparation for print production. The Format tools are there for a purpose. Use them.

2. Availiasvision profile image82
      Availiasvisionposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Thanks!

working