jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Why do some people find modern classics boring?

1. Kratika profile image68
    Kratikaposted 2 years ago

Why do some people find modern classics boring?

2. tsmog profile image82
    tsmogposted 2 years ago

Unsure other than my experience. I discovered the classics when closer to college days much more interesting. Perhaps my willingness to explore may be hindered by my patience to read lengthy books. For instance Pride & Prejudice and Little Women.

Then, I was able to power read much easier and may have been more eager with my quest. I have recently reread some authors who I feel wrote classics nearer 200 pages - Robert Heinland, Aldous Huxley, and Ray Bradbury.

Kratikaposted 2 years agoin reply to this

They are lengthy but worth reading... I am currently reading "To kill a mocking bird" and trust me it is the most adorable and cute piece i ever read!!

3. dashingscorpio profile image86
    dashingscorpioposted 2 years ago

I believe it has a lot to do with the generations and era we live in.
    There was a time where a dinner party consisted of people gathering to have discussion in front of a fireplace after a meal.
    Millennials would consider that extremely boring I would imagine.
    We live in an era where entertainment has to be quick to the point, action driven, exciting, and contain elements of shock.
    Most classic books are (character driven) filled with a host "nuance changes" which slowly reveal an unexpected outcome.
    Even older generations are more likely to watch movies, shows, & sports, on cable TV which they're paying (hundreds of dollars) per month. Best selling books today are often written with movie viewers in mind. Hunger Games, Harry Potter, 50 Shades of Grey..
    Netflix is also another entertainment vehicle in addition to video games on consoles and smart phones. These are all things one can do with others. Those who have no love life or limited friends do things alone.
    Essentially today many people find it difficult to "unplug" nor want to.
    Sitting quietly reading a book is almost like taking time to meditate.
    In a world that indulges in "social media" and staying connected to others reading a book seems like solitary isolation.
    Some folks claim they "never have the time" to read a whole book.

Kratikaposted 2 years agoin reply to this

You elucidated it so beautifully. I guess time  and inclination towards a happening life are the two main reasons!