jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Why do people find it so hard to give back to their community?

1. Sara Edgar profile image60
    Sara Edgarposted 2 years ago

Why do people find it so hard to give back to their community?

2. pstraubie48 profile image86
    pstraubie48posted 2 years ago

Actually I do not think they do. There is a whole lot more 'giving back' done than one may be aware of. Things I do I keep private...so on the surface it may seem I do not 'give back' when in fact it is not something I advertise. It seems to me if I advertise what I do that it diminishes it...
    So many lovely people reach out to others with no fanfare and that is a wonderful thing.

3. lisavollrath profile image95
    lisavollrathposted 2 years ago

Judging by what I read here in the QA, a lot of people have a sort of "I've got mine, so to hell with the rest of you" attitude. There is no sense of obligation to contribute to one's society or community, and there seems to be no desire to help those who are less fortunate or in need.

Strangely, my parents, who both lived through the Depression, had the same attitudes. They resisted any sort of charitable work or giving. I understand having that attitude when you have nothing, but when things are better, I don't know why anyone would ever want another to endure the same.

4. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 2 years ago

we give back without letting others know, just as the bible says

5. themiddlechild profile image60
    themiddlechildposted 2 years ago

I believe that if we have not been without ourselves we can find it difficult to give back to others. I think generosity and consideration for others is sometimes a learnt behavior and not something that comes naturally to all, especially in modern day society.