jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Wonder Woman or Xena the warrior princess?

1. limpet profile image59
    limpetposted 24 months ago

Wonder Woman or Xena the warrior princess?

Both enjoyed considerable popularity in their specific genre with W.W. still going strong after 6 decades on the job.

2. tsmog profile image83
    tsmogposted 24 months ago

I use to watch Xena Warrior Princess TV show. I have not read any comic books since the sixties and as entering into mid teens. I did watch Wonder Woman too on TV. I am a fan of the era and genre style of Xena with myth at the helm of culture and the societies as the setting. That to me contrast the myth of Wonder Woman in her setting without a myth based culture. Interesting contrast.

I think that may be distinction that Wonder Woman is more 'Super' Hero since her powers are somewhat obscure and not conventional related to how we observers relate with history. In other words she battled a different form of evil and was human not just in form.

Xena it was conventional since there were others of myth she encountered more oft. Footnote: At least to my memory. There were mythical creatures too weren't there with Xena to do battle? Xena introduces spiritual planes or dimensions too I believe.

1. M. T. Dremer profile image95
      M. T. Dremerposted 23 months agoin reply to this

Wonder Woman is an Amazon; her origins and many of her villains based in Greek Mythology.

3. tamarawilhite profile image91
    tamarawilhiteposted 23 months ago

Xena lost popularity when they ran out of plots; there were several "let's bring in a new person who looks like Xena and add to the confusion" episodes.
    Add in Xena and Gabrielle going lesbian, and it lost its viewer base.

4. M. T. Dremer profile image95
    M. T. Dremerposted 23 months ago

It was always my impression that Xena was based on Wonder Woman in a lets-not-violate-copyright sort of way. The basis in Greek Mythology, the warrior princess title, and even the outfits, all share similarities. Though I think Xena's strength came from the fact that she was human, and she was trying to redeem a past of evil. Wonder Woman's strength comes from family and honor. They're both great characters, though, and I would only give the nod to Wonder Woman because she has transcended any one actor or iteration to become truly iconic. Xena is still very much Lucy Lawless. Now, if they can get that Xena reboot off the ground, things might start to change.

1. limpet profile image59
      limpetposted 18 months agoin reply to this

It looks like Wonder Woman is perennial  standing the test of time. I was so glade when Xena the warrior Princess arrived on the scene but i missed most episodes in the beginning only to catch up on the repeats. Xena 'got off' defeating the males.

5. profile image0
    Cissy1946posted 23 months ago

Xena, hands down! Never read the comics for either, just saw the TV shows but Wonder Woman never really came across as believable. On the other hand, Xena actually looked like she could throw someone across the room.

Anyone interested can see Lucy Lawless in a couple of season 2 episodes of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. I didn't really recognize her until she did a Xena like stunt and I had an aha moment.