jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

How long have you been writing? Why do you write? What have you accomplished?

1. Luke Holm profile image95
    Luke Holmposted 14 months ago

How long have you been writing?  Why do you write?  What have you accomplished?

It's time to brag about yourself.  I am still new to the writing community and lack writer's wisdom.  My friends don't care about writing, so I'm in uncharted waters.  I need some insight from experienced writers about their history as an emerging literary composers.  Please help!

Length: ~4 years.
    Reason: To connect, make money, and grow as an individual.
    Accomplishments: 2nd place in a short story competition, a hundred or so promising pieces of writing, the gift of sharing my mind with another.

Thank you!

2. Kathleen Cochran profile image83
    Kathleen Cochranposted 14 months ago

I started writing poetry when I was a teenager.  Studied news writing as my major in college.  Worked as a reporter and editor as a career, but always had ideas for novels.  Six years ago I left the working world and have written six books.  Some of them are on Amazon. I've had encouraging success but certainly haven't made the fortune most writers dream of.

I write because I believe I have something to say that readers might find some value in for themselves.  I can't imagine ever putting down my pen and saying "I'm done."

Luke Holmposted 13 months agoin reply to this

Kathleen, a beautiful answer and purpose for writing! I too write for the love and to express myself.  You have inspired me to keep working hard.  Thank you smile

3. Jodah profile image90
    Jodahposted 14 months ago

I have written poetry on and off since school but, other than my wife, very few people ever read it. I also wrote the odd short story, but that was the same deal.
    It wasn't until I joined hub pages (around seven years ago) that I began to take writing seriously. Now I want to write every day. A day without writing is a day wasted.
    I have had a short story selected for an anthology about the experiences of war veterans called "We Go On", and two poems selected to have turned into songs. One will be recorded on an album and maybe as a single this year by British singer Tally Koren.

Apart from Hubpages I write for a creative writing website I founded called The Creative Exiles, as well as doing freelance writing for clients on Fiverr.

Thank you for your in-depth response, John! Do you make your main income through just writing, then?  Thank you for the insight and inspiration smile

2. Jodah profile image90
      Jodahposted 13 months agoin reply to this

Writing is not my main income yet, Luke, as it is not reliable enough. Some months I may make over $400, others less than $100. Hopefully after my poem is released on Tally's album and as a single I may start making some money through royalties.

4. tamarawilhite profile image92
    tamarawilhiteposted 13 months ago

I've been writing fiction for more than a decade as a passion, article for pay for around five years, full time for just over a year.
    The greatest challenge has been finding the alignment between what I can write well and a lot of versus what people will pay me a decent wage to write.

That's a hard battle to fight! I love writing creatively, but too have found people want more formal/critical articles.  I will keep looking for that balance.  Thank you for the insight and inspiration smile

5. Omar Eldamsheety profile image67
    Omar Eldamsheetyposted 13 months ago

I write Arabic poetry for 27 years .. I write English poetry for 3 years ... I published my poems on some websites and people around the world read it.