jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

Help, I want to improve my short story. Can anyone help me please?

1. Terrielynn1 profile image94
    Terrielynn1posted 12 months ago

Help, I want to improve my short story. Can anyone help me please?

Can someone read my short story. Death under the Harvest moon. I am trying to improve it and need help. I am a bit rusty, lol.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13379331_f260.jpg

2. alancaster149 profile image85
    alancaster149posted 12 months ago

First, set a limit for your word count.
    Next write the story (pen and paper stuff), don't worry about the word count yet.
    Third, count the words you've got and work out what's got to go (ratio of cutting to order).
    Fourth, cut out preliminary unnecessary words (use a pencil, you might change your mind). What you aim for now is a precis of what you've written.
    Fifth, recount the words. Don't be too savage, but at the same time be aware of what you've set yourself.
    Sixth, when you achieved your aim, copy it out - verbatim - on your laptop/desktop. When you think you've finished check the word count again and if you've hit the target sit back and treat yourself. Otherwise 'shave' or add according to need. Then treat yourself.
    (Mine's a 'Famous Grouse' thanks, no water or ice).

Terrielynn1posted 12 months agoin reply to this

Thank you. One problem is the grammar. Work count really wasnt my issue. And punctuation help. I guess I wasn't specific enough.

2. alancaster149 profile image85
      alancaster149posted 12 months agoin reply to this

Over here there's a pair of books in the 'Oxford Guide to' series  titled 'English Grammar' and 'English Usage'. I suppose across the Pond you must have the equivalent in the Websters' range. If not, the Oxford version isn't too different to US usage

3. Terrielynn1 profile image94

Thank Alan, I'll take a look at that.

3. Omar Eldamsheety profile image64
    Omar Eldamsheetyposted 12 months ago

short stories tell about only few minutes in the life. you have to concentrate and don't say a lot of words and conversations .

Ok, thank you. My story is only around the recommend minimum amount of words for a short story. I was hoping for more technical help.

working