jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

What does 'Writer's Voice' mean?

1. tsmog profile image81
    tsmogposted 9 months ago

What does 'Writer's Voice' mean?

There is a subtopic here at HP titled "Finding your Writer's voice". It is under the main topic 'Commerical and Creative Writing'. Do you notice the Writer's Voice when you read both creative and informational articles or books. Have you explored your writer's voice both in your personal writing adventures and published ones? Do you have more than one? Do you think there is importance for it with writing success? Should it be developed?

2. Jodah profile image91
    Jodahposted 9 months ago

Yes, Tim. I feel it is important for a writer to have their own unique voice. Many writers I follow/read have a particular writing style that is easily recognised. Imcan always recognise an article or story written by Bill Holland, or Eric Dierker for instance. I am quite sure my writing style is also individual to me also, although it may differ a little  between poetry, informational essays, and fiction. I think you readers come to expect and look forward to your individual writer's voice.

1. tsmog profile image81
      tsmogposted 9 months agoin reply to this

Thank you Jodah. I find too I have different writer's voices. With jest does that mean we have muliple personalities ;-)

3. alekhouse profile image83
    alekhouseposted 9 months ago

Voice is the author's style, the quality that makes his/her writing unique, and conveys his or her attitude, personality, and character; It is the characteristic speech and thought patterns of the narrator.

4. Ericdierker profile image54
    Ericdierkerposted 9 months ago

Tim now you know I am just one of those carrots that you pluck out early to give room for the ones you want to grow big and wonderful. And there you have one of my writing voices. Self deprecation. On the other hand: We look to Bertrand Russel, Bowsma and Ludwig Wittgenstein to create a contextual basis for how we put words together. I very much like to mix up the verbs and nouns so they come out in a way in which you must read the sentence twice. Brutal reading but hey that is one of my voices.
    I really love my short - mostly true - short stories because that voice is a kick in the pants because, unlike sitting around a campfire with my siblings I get to write the reality.
    And then you have to put up with my songs and poems. That is a bit about getting out of my head and doing a pattern, which I need as it is hard for me to chew tobacco and walk at the same time. (don't like gum;-)
    And I really do have to admit that God whom I call love gets in me somehow. I got nothing on that because my sermons are way over my head yet I write them with my fingers but not my brain.
    And then there is the chit chat with you here. You get me like the friend you are. I reckon this makes no sense, but it don't make no sense to lay across the trail like that rattler did to me today. Sonbitch made me walk through brambles.
    Thanks guy for the kick to think.