jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

When publishing poems here, is it advisable to say something about what inspired

1. Stella Kaye profile image88
    Stella Kayeposted 7 months ago

When publishing poems here, is it advisable to say something about what inspired you to write them?

I have a great deal of poetry but some pieces are short and don't meet the required word length. To increase the words, should I mention something about the poem and what inspired me to write it and perhaps explain the backstory to it? Or is it better to let the reader put their own interpretation on it?

I know poetry doesn't do very well on here and gets very few pages views - would adding further information help to boost views?

2. Jodah profile image89
    Jodahposted 7 months ago

yes adding additional information does help. It's what I usually do to get my wordcount up.
    If you want to check out another site just for poetry and creative writing (but it doesn't pay) look up The Creative Exiles.

3. Cleo Burch profile image86
    Cleo Burchposted 7 months ago

I would suggest putting multiple poems in one hub, putting them in their own capsules within said article. It puts them all in one place in one organized manner and the more you write, you can just edit the hub and add the new ones. It's one I've recently started doing and it works out well so far. c:

4. tsmog profile image83
    tsmogposted 7 months ago

I can share my experience and maybe it is TMI. I have eleven poems published and featured. They all were featured right away. Nine of my poems are the poem only. They are usually four stanzas of four lines with word count less than 200. One is three Haikus with a word count of 57.

One had information. I placed the information at the beginning as an intro explaining how the poem came to be with a word count of 157. The poem was long and the whole article had a word count of 750.

A footnote: I place my poems in the following category trail:

HubPages → Books, Literature, and Writing → Poems & Poetry

There are subcategories after Poems & Poetry like Inspirational and Narrative, but I don't always choose one.

1. tsmog profile image83
      tsmogposted 7 months agoin reply to this

A footnote is there are two categories the readers for the QAP use; Creative & Informational. They have to decide between those two. If there is too much information they may decide it is informational & use the criteria for that and not 'Cre