jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

How do you get honest/helpful beta readers for a book?

1. poppyr profile image98
    poppyrposted 4 months ago

How do you get honest/helpful beta readers for a book?

I'm rewriting my fantasy trilogy. When I first wrote it, some people read it and said it was great. It was only after it was published that people pointed out issues. I felt a bit cheated because no one gave me honest feedback before. I want to be really sure this time that everything makes sense and is quality writing before paying an editor.

Does anyone know where you can find good, honest beta readers? I don't mind paying a little (within reason; I'm saving up for a professional editor). I feel beta reading should come before editing/polishing. Thanks in advance!

2. KPM2017 profile image95
    KPM2017posted 4 months ago

I've been a beta reader for a friend of mine and I considered it my obligation to point out the errors and issues that he was generating. If I agree to beta reading, it's with the understanding that I'm going to be critical of what's being written (in order to help people create the best finished work).

I haven't a good answer to the general question about beta reading, but I will offer to have a look at your trilogy if you wish and give you my honest feedback. Let me know.

1. poppyr profile image98
      poppyrposted 4 months agoin reply to this

Oh you’re very kind. I would like that. It won’t be ready for a while, but I’ll take you up on that offer. Do you have Twitter?

2. KPM2017 profile image95
      KPM2017posted 4 months agoin reply to this

Sure do! It is @CulinaryCdn013

working