jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (16 posts)

Writing an original piece can be a pain

1. tobey100 profile image60
    tobey100posted 7 years ago

I'm an avid reader.  I read literally everything I can get my hands on whether I agree with the perspective or not.  My problem is I have a very good memory for an older guy.  This can be a curse and pops up every now and then in one of my hubs.  Something I just knew originated with me turns out to be something I read somewhere and I wind up deleting a hub I really liked.  I have the same problem occasionally with music.  I've been writing music for about 35 years now.  Sometimes I'll come up with a complete song, lyrics and music in a matter of 30 minutes to an hour.  For a few minutes I'll congratulate myself on how easy that was then I realize why it was so easy.  I've heard the stinking thing before.  Anybody else have this problem?

1. LaVieja profile image60
      LaViejaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

lol my husband has that problem! I find it hilarious, but appreciate it can be frustrating!! lol

tobey100posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Just wait.  It'll happen to you sooner or later, then, it won't be so funny.  Well, I guess it is sort of funny.  I just hate deleting hubs.

1. profile image0
          Justine76posted 7 years agoin reply to this

oh...im SURE ive done it, but never noticed...
          really tho, theres only so many words and ideas...your bound to say things similar to someone else....maybe your being to hard on yourself?

2. profile image0
    Justine76posted 7 years ago

no, I have a very bad memory.
    im sure everone includes snippets of unorigional by accident. theres alot out there....just put your own spin on it, im sure its fine.  smile

I hate even putting my own spin on something.  I still feel as if I'm just rearranging their words.

1. profile image0

it sucks....like i said, theres only so many words....rearranging is all any of us have.

3. Shadesbreath profile image84
    Shadesbreathposted 7 years ago

Revise them if you recognize it.  Go back through it and don't just change words but still say the same, take what you regurgitated and spend time in each line and paragraph, expand on fine points.  I bet you can make that "problem" into something very cool.

Writing is a work of revision anyway.

4. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 7 years ago

sorry ADD here,not good for focusing. big_smile Thanks for sharing.

1. profile image0

lol wait....what?

5. Maddie Ruud profile image80
    Maddie Ruudposted 7 years ago

I sometimes invent words and then find out they're real, and mean something completely different.  That sucks.

1. profile image0

lol lol  i invented 'mobese' it means acting overly dramaticaly depressed, for the sake of getting attention...but its accidentaly a smooshing of morbidly obese.....dont ask...

Ohhhhh.  I like it though

2. tobey100 profile image60

Crap, I do that too.  Are we nuts?

6. Arthur Fontes profile image82
    Arthur Fontesposted 7 years ago

I have come up with chord progressions and thought I was brilliant until hearing it recorded and realizing I plagiarized someones song.

Join the club.  Really ticks me off too.

working