jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (13 posts)

Do you have a problem with beginning a sentence with "and" or "but"?

1. EclecticFusion profile image79
    EclecticFusionposted 6 years ago

Do you have a problem with beginning a sentence with "and" or "but"?

I've found that it's become acceptable to start sentences with "and" or "but" and if I'm not mistaken, that used to be a no-no. My school years are long past, but am I remembering this correctly or was it just my hillbilly school?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6116668_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    Sooner28posted 6 years ago

All the time.  And I do it anyway,  because I am a rule breaker!

3. RTalloni profile image88
    RTalloniposted 6 years ago

Yeah, you're right.  But we do it anyway.  With that in mind, I'll admonish you to keep up the good work.  Grammar police are a good thing.  smile

4. Naima Manal profile image72
    Naima Manalposted 6 years ago

It does feel kind of weird, but then again, I've even witnessed editors fill them in to make the writing flow. I think grammar rules have changed, because they were the quintessential "no-nos" in my academic years. So, yes, I do add an occasional one or two in my writings. I'm guilty, too!

5. profile image0
    Sara Sweeneyposted 6 years ago

Yes! BUT, sometimes I feel that it is important for either a character's dialog or the flow of the writing. AND every once in a while, I think a little rule breaking can actually ease the readers experience.

6. hush4444 profile image70
    hush4444posted 6 years ago

You're absolutely right, "and" and "but" are conjunctions, meant to connect two words or phrases within a sentence.  Grammar rules haven't changed, at least in the school where I work. I think the more words are misused the more acceptable it becomes to misuse them.  Although I'd never start a sentence with "and", I have been guilty of starting one with "but".

7. billybuc profile image87
    billybucposted 6 years ago

It is poor grammar and if you doubt that go ask Sister Mary Elizabeth, my old fifth grade teacher.  She will be glad to whack you with a yardstick if you consider using either of those words to start a sentence.

8. Seeker7 profile image95
    Seeker7posted 6 years ago

Your not mistaken at all and your 'hillybilly' school taught good English. We were always told it was very poor English to start any sentence with a conjunction such as the word 'and'. It's many years since I was at school as well, but I remember quite clearly that you would have been marked down heavily in exams if you had used the words 'but' or 'and' at the beginning of a sentence. I think with 'texting' and so on, there is a lot of very lazy grammar now being used.

9. lisasuniquevoice profile image76
    lisasuniquevoiceposted 6 years ago

There are people who follow along with what they were once taught no matter what things change. We are at the point where we can use either one of those words to begin a sentence. And, it's quite natural to do so.

10. danajconnelly profile image69
    danajconnellyposted 6 years ago

not when speaking but when i see it in print it irks me.  Yes, i used the word "irk". Wow.

11. BeYOUtifuLife profile image76
    BeYOUtifuLifeposted 6 years ago

You are absolutely correct.  I think that our writing has become more conversational  in tone so we insert and and but more freely.

12. ThatYossarian profile image61
    ThatYossarianposted 6 years ago

Grammar rules should be about forming a framework to increase the clarity of communication.

And if a conjunction at the beginning of a sentence introduces a dependent clause, I see no reason why it should be against the rules.

13. Rochelle Frank profile image97
    Rochelle Frankposted 6 years ago

I agree and I was taught the same way. I try not to do it, but sometimes it just has to happen. As others  have said, especially in dialoge, it is more natural and reflective of the way we speak.
    Hopefully, we will not totally devolve into textspeak , but then, we have already  left  "thee" , "thou" and "thy" behind at some point.

working