Bill’s Challenge: Learning the Truth at 17

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (37 posts)
  1. Jodah profile image91
    Jodahposted 2 years ago

Take some time to read this wonderful piece of writing by Greg Cain in response to Bill Holland’s challenge.

https://hubpages.com/literature/Bills-C … ruth-at-17

I love this Greg, and I can certainly relate, as I am sure many people can when reminiscing their teenage years.

1. boxelderred profile image87
      boxelderredposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Hi John - thanks for reading and sharing.  As always, I appreciate it, and I appreciate you.  Have a great week, my friend.

2. Gianella Labrador profile image83
    Gianella Labradorposted 2 years ago

Thank you for sharing John. Having cysts and acne scars nowadays is no longer a problem. But just how embarrassing it was then to have puberty problems especially on a school pictorial, these pictures surely engraved a scar too. Every picture do tell a story. Embarrassing ones, funny ones, 'never again', the ' let's do it again next time' , and many more. Pretty good if you can still remember the story of the picture in its tiniest details of events that it happened. I mean after so many years that passed by.

A great read. Thank you Greg and John!

I hope that 17 year old guy knows now how to deal with acne scars and pus on the face. And can now have pictures without trying to hide anything on his face. I mean there are tons of filters and skin care products out there.

Oh and if that guy still happens to have wet dreams, just wash the sheets and change clothes. It will be fine. It doesn't only happen when you are young. It will also be part of adulting.

God bless to both of you.

Take Care

1. Jodah profile image91
      Jodahposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for reading Greg’s article, Gianella. You offer wise advice as well. Blessings to you.

2. boxelderred profile image87

Gianella - no doubt about how times have changed.  Perhaps in someways the changes have been for the better, but also maybe something else is missed.  The adversity put in our face when we were teens is part of what prepared us for adulting.  And after all, as you mentioned, some of this is part of adulting, too.  I was in my late forties and still getting the occasional pimple for some reason or other.  Anyway, most of all thanks for giving the story a look.  Appreciate it.

3. Pamela99 profile image90
    Pamela99posted 2 years ago

All that you describe is just part of growing up Greg. Most of us felt awkward at times as a teenager. I enjoyed reading your story, and it is a good response to Bill's challenge.
    Thanks for posting this article John.

Hi Pam - yes, agreed.  It’s all part of growing up.  Awkward was more normal, I think, than most of us knew until later.  As always, too, I appreciate your kind words.  I will miss Bill and wanted to put something out there to at least acknowledge his last challenge to the gang here on HP.  Have a great weekend, Pam.

4. celeste inscribed profile image89
    celeste inscribedposted 2 years ago

Something that I've learned over the years is that I wasn't as alone in my teenage insecurities as I thought I was. As adults my high school friends are more open about how they felt growing up and I would bet that most of the kids you walk past in the school hallway felt some kind of awkwardness about their bodies. I know I did. It is a blessing now because I can use those feelings and experiences to support my son from pimple to pimple and tell him it will all be ok.

5. billybuc profile image85
    billybucposted 2 years ago

Talk about bringing back memories. I didn't think the pimples would ever stop appearing on my face, and then it happened, but I'll bet nobody can remember when it happened. It's like they haunted us for years and then, when they were gone, we didn't even realize it.

Great memory, buddy! I was right there with you, squeezing that pimple in front of the mirror. LOL Thanks for answering the challenge. This was a blast to read, and I thank you for it.  You are a writer in a similar vein as me, and i love all of your work.

6. boxelderred profile image87
    boxelderredposted 2 years ago

Hi Celeste, agreed completely.  Too, I think that as we age, as the world gets more educated on what's normal, what's acceptable/not acceptable, we are better prepared to help our own children.  I know I found that to be the case with my kids in many areas.  My youngest is now 25, but he's still a youngster to me, and occasionally I have to let him know that one thing or other is "part of life."  Thanks for giving it a look.

7. boxelderred profile image87

Bill - thanks for the words and also thanks for the challenge.  Thanks also for your dedication to and ipact on Hub Pages and the community here.  We'll miss you, but I'll be following your new webpage and keeping in touch along the way.  Be well and be good.  Best to you and Bev and the pups.

8. Peggy W profile image95
    Peggy Wposted 2 years ago

Hi Greg,

I'll bet that most teenagers back then had some type of insecurity, and it probably is the same today.  It is all a part of growing up.  Pimples were simply a part of it.  Kudos to your mother for trying to put things in perspective!  Thanks John for sharing Greg's work about those teenage days.

9. Jodah profile image91
    Jodahposted 2 years ago

Greg, a number of us had articles stolen and posted as soon as we published them by another website. Misbah filed a DCMA form and others complained, so we managed to have our articles removed from there. However, I checked and found this article of yours there:
    https://acpeo.com/2022/03/06/bills-chal … -17/?amp=1
    Just so you are aware.

John - well, this is a first, I guess.  Funny, too, that whoever did this even left the “copyright greg cain 2022” thing on there.  Crazy.  I don’t have the first idea about how to address this so I guess I’ll just shoot a not e to the editors.  Thanks for letting me know, John.

1. Jodah profile image91

Yes, they left the copyright and even link back to HubPages as the source. I can’t figure their reasoning, as well the site supposedly has a gourmet food niche but most of the articles stolen from HubPages is anything but food related and mostly listed under the heading “Business.”

1. Misbah786 profile image85
          Misbah786posted 2 years agoin reply to this

John, there's something fishy going on at that website. They've re-posted one of my poems that had been removed a few hours ago. sad hmm neutral

1. Jodah profile image91

Yes, I see that. This is getting stranger by the minute. They still haven't reposted the article of mine that was removed. I really hope someone gets to the bottom of this.

Hmmm... It's very strange. I'm hoping that someone can help us with this. I was in the middle of writing a hub today when I noticed they reposted it, so I just stopped writing. Wondering if I should provide someone with a ready-made article to post somewhere else. It's a terrible situation. It's disheartening and depressing. neutral

1. Jodah profile image91

Wow, before you even finished writing an article and published it? I wonder if you should write an article about content theft and specifically mention Acpeo as being one of the worst offenders. If articles are being stolen automatically it may be copied to their site without even checking lol.

I had planned to publish that article today, but seeing the previous one being reposted ruined my mood. By the way, I really liked your advice; writing such an article would be a lot of fun. I must give this a try. It would be great fun and revenge at the same time big_smile

1. Jodah profile image91

go for it big_smile

2. boxelderred profile image87

Misbah - thanks for the kind words.  Yes, I was still getting them on occasion later in my 20s and 30s.  Not like when a teen but on occasion.  Anyway. Thanks for reading.  I really don’t think there’s much to be done..part of life, as they say. 

Also, I hope we can get this plagiarism mess figured out quickly.

I hope smile

Yes, me too.  I just visited this website:  https://acpeo.com and it has many directly-lifted articles from HP.  This has to be stopped.  I sent a note to the Team at HP, hoping to hear back tomorrow.

This is what Matt said about this matter on a forum discussion: https://hubpages.com/forum/post/4231519

10. boxelderred profile image87

Thanks for the words, Peggy.  I am certain you are right.  This was only partly biographical in nature, but it was based completely on experiences me and some of my friends had in school.  Have a great week, Peggy!

11. Misbah786 profile image85
    Misbah786posted 2 years ago

Greg, I enjoyed reading your hub. Acne is something to which we can all relate. By the way, I'm still getting pimples and popping them. I'm maturing, but my habits continue to stay the same. Is there anything that can be done? smile
    It was a unique response to Mr. Bill's challenge. Thank you so much for sharing.

John, thank you so much for sharing Greg's article smile

Blessings to both of you!!

12. Gianella Labrador profile image83

That would be a great word prompt John! Content theft. Interesting. big_smile

1. Jodah profile image91

Feel free to use it as such, Gianella. big_smile

13. Gianella Labrador profile image83

Would think about it big_smile

14. vocalcoach profile image93
    vocalcoachposted 2 years ago

Thanks, John for posting this!  An outstanding article.  I'll be looking for more writings from Greg.  He took me back in time, pulling up a few memories that made me smile.  It was a big deal back then, reliving becoming of age and all.

What a trip!

1. Jodah profile image91

Thank you for reading, Audrey. I felt the same way when I read Greg’s story.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)