Janis Leslie Evans ~ Top Ten Reasons For Book Lovers' Hardcover

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (13 posts)
  1. Brenda Arledge profile image79
    Brenda Arledgeposted 4 weeks ago

This is Janis Leslie Evans submission for the word prompt.

It sounds pretty interesting.

Take a few moments to read and leave her a response.

https://hobbylark.com/reading/Books-Lov … Real-Books

1. tsmog profile image85
      tsmogposted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

Thanks for posting Janis's contribution, Brenda!

Firstly, I am thankful ChitrangadaSharan made a post so that I could see your contribution, Janis. Otherwise I may have missed it. No reason for that other than how stuff at HP works.

Next, I watched the video and wonder how many people noticed when his glasses fell and broke the book near them had blank pages. Symbolic? hmmm . . .

I appreciate your article Janis, being a book lover. The ten reasons for hard cover books resonates with me, yet I must confess I do purchase paperback more often than not these days. But, I cherish my hard cover books on my book shelves!!

I just had an odd thought . . . are K-12 books hard cover these days? Or, are paper back seeping into the mix. How far off until it will be on tablets?

I'm sending an email next to my niece that I mentioned in my contribution to the prompt - Book. She loves books and I know will appreciate your work.

1. janshares profile image94
        jansharesposted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

Hi Tim,
        So glad you enjoyed my article. That episode from the Twighlight Zone is one of my favorites. I will need to look closer for the blank pages book. Maybe it is a symbolic message. Regarding textbooks in primary school, I'm not sure. So much has changed with technology, most kids use computers in classrooms now. Thank you so much for sharing with your niece. Good luck on moving forward with your memoir. Maybe self-publish?

2. Brenda Arledge profile image79

Janis...
    This title sounds really interesting.

I'll get back to you after I've had time to read it.

Have a great day.

3. Brenda Arledge profile image79

Janis,
    In your article "Top 10 Reasons for Book Lovers' Hardcover Passion" you tell us that despite this new digital age where kindle is readily available for people to read books that a real book lover will always want a hard copy of his favorite book by his fingertips.

Your top 10 reasons are very good.

Who doesn't love showcasing  books in a library.

Discovering a once in a lifetime treasure like you did by finding a T. S. Elliott book is quite exciting.

You mention sharing & and exchanging books, but in my experience, they don't get returned.

Who doesn't love that cuddle factor? Curling up with a fuzzy blanket and reading a good book...holding it in your hands.

Then, placing a special bookmark on the page where you left off.

Books are the perfect gift for any occasion.

Reading a real book, holding it in your hand, just seems natural, while reading one on Kindle doesn't.

I love your video of "An Extreme Case From a Classic Story."

Poor Henry....He has all the books he needs,  but no one to share them with.

I think I watched every episode of The Twilight Zone.

I also love your ending where you tell people the next time they travel with a book to observe fellow book lovers.

This is a great article. 

It seems both you and Jack are on the same wave length.

He recently wrote one that shows how much he loves to hold a book in his hands. It's posted on Medium... you'll have to take a look.

I already posted a link in the Word Prompt Article.

Brenda, Thanks for accepting and posting my submission. As you can see, it's an old article, evergreen for sure. But I didn't think I needed to re-invent the wheel. I thought I should share it as it fits the challenge pretty well. I will check out Jack's on Medium, as well as the others here. Thanks again for all you do for us. smile

1. Brenda Arledge profile image79
        Brenda Arledgeposted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

Janis...
        It's great just the way it is.

4. Jodah profile image91
    Jodahposted 4 weeks ago

A wonderful article, Janis. You offer so many good reasons for collecting and reading real “paper” books, rather than ebooks. I much prefer the feel, smell, and look of real books. I love physically turning the pages to discover what comes next, and bookmarking the place I need to return too. I love perusing second hand book stores and thrift shops for treasures.
    Thank you for sharing, and thank you Brenda for the link.

Thanks, John, for reading. Glad you liked it.

5. Peggy W profile image96
    Peggy Wposted 4 weeks ago

I can definitely relate to a love of books from my earliest childhood days going forward.  I do not even own a Kindle.  Thanks Brenda for showcasing this article by Janis.

Thank you, Peggy, for relating to it.

6. ChitrangadaSharan profile image91
    ChitrangadaSharanposted 4 weeks ago

Hello Janis,
    I agree with your points about why to choose the hardcover books. You reminded me of the old times, when we used to read only hardcover books and I really enjoyed it that way. Nowadays, of course there are other options and I like to read both ways. I had published an article similar to this subject, some years back after visiting a Book fair.
    An excellent article and an appropriate response to Brenda’s word prompt.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Thank you Brenda.

Hi Chitrangada,
      Good to see you. Thanks for reading, glad you enjoyed it. I'll have to look for your article. Mine was written some time ago, too.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)