Writer's Block... Help!

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (33 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Pani Midnyte Odinposted 14 years ago

I keep starting hubs and then losing interest in finishing them. I think it's because I'm really not sure what to write. One thing I have found out though, is that if I know someone wants to read about it, I get inspired enough to work on that hub full force. (Too bad I don't get many requests and there aren't many forum topics I know about lol)

Anyway, the few things I consider myself an expert about are Wicca, Witchcraft, Self-Motivation (Haha, maybe not so much these days since I haven't been able to SELF-motivate a hub since I joined lol), and personal experiences with mental institutions, youth shelters, foster homes, drugs, alcohol, being homeless, etc.

What I need from all you magnificent hubbers out there are some ideas. What do YOU want to read? What do YOU want to know? Please give me some inspiration? Thank you so much! smile

1. Moon Goddess1854 profile image61
      Moon Goddess1854posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Know what you mean. Been there, seen it, had it.

Now as for unblocking the blocks, here's what I usually do, I have a couple of stick on notes. I write words and ideas that pops off my head. I think you heard some of these tips before. But what I would usually do, is look around me and let my mind wander. Just letting it flow freely. So I float along the waves inside my head. Listening to music also helps. Reading books can help as well. 

You also asked what readers want to read right? Investigating or scoping what works by reading other articles from this site by popular writers will give you a good feel of what readers want as well.  Hope this helps. I'm new at this site so I can't offer much other than from what is my personal experience. smile

Cheerio!

2. Awful Poet profile image68
      Awful Poetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Dream On It

3. Rubysprings profile image61
      Rubyspringsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Try writing about things that really piss you off. An annoying co-worker? a condencending "friend", a story bothering you in the news,  or just things in general the just urk you. I know it sounds extreamly pessimistic but whenever I am facing writers block this is the stuff I tend to write about. Through writing I am often able to find the humor in these things and turn them around into an interesting story. Or other times it just plain gets my brian going and thinking about new ideas. Hoe you overcome your block! :-)

1. Transformtruly profile image61
        Transformtrulyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

blocks are used to build thing the place where you are stuck start building change directions either go up or use the eraser like abulldozer and tear it down

2. Arthur Fontes profile image73
    Arthur Fontesposted 14 years ago

You could do some hubs relating to objects you use in your craft and why.  Cauldrons amathe etc.

Tell us some of your rituals.

Explain Wiccan holidays.

Hope these help smile

3. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Write what you feel most comfortable with, as you've already stated.

Each topic you said is more than the 3 hubs you already have.

So, curious....how is it that you're an expert in "self-motivation", when you feeling admit having trouble?

I say, work with what you have...foster homes, wicca, witchcraft, mental institutions, homeless and foster ideas from those? I am sure when you get into the details of each, you'll come up with more ideas, most likely related in some manner.

Try to view things objectively, instead of subjectively, and writing will come easier. Look at everything you are good at, from more than one point of view?

My example: I wasn't sure if I wanted to share, a scarring part of my life, that I had to accept and get past? I did get past it, but I wasn't sure about sharing it with the rest of the world. But, I have and had wonderful responses to it from hubbers and it's one of my best perfoming hubs in means of traffic.

I don't get too much into where my clicks come from, as of yet. Because, I working on other things, presently.

Hope that was helpful. smile

1. profile image0
      Pani Midnyte Odinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

@Cagsil: Self motivation because, well, I've led a hard life. I struggle with my mental illnesses every day, yet I try very hard to motivate myself to move past them. True, my religion is a big part of that. Really, the only thing I've been having trouble motivating myself to do is write, which is unusual for me because I absolutely adore writing. I'm not too worried about making money on here. Yes, I have a few things set up that have the potential to make me 5 bucks here and there, but what I'm really looking for is feedback and the chance to further my knowledge of life.

My religion is an easy thing to write about for me. My newest hub let my readers in on a not-so-detailed description of what I've been through and what led me to choose witchcraft. Foster homes, mental institutions, drug addiction, being homeless... These are all things I'd love to write about, but am having trouble opening myself up to the world completely. Maybe I should just dive in and not worry about what others will think of me and my past.

@Arthur: Those are great ideas, actually. I never thought to break all my ritual tools down into hubs, but I think I could definitely do that quite easily.

1. relache profile image71
        relacheposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If it's so easy for you to write about this, why are you blocked?  And why are you asking your fellow writers, and not your audience what they want to read?  If you want to write more about Wicca, wouldn't it serve you better to ask Wiccans?

When I find myself unmotivated to write, it means it's time for me to do something else. 

I have a variety of hobbies and I go spend time on those.  And from doing crafts or gardening or cooking, I quickly find myself doing something and then thinking I could write about it.  In fact, my younger sister's favorite way to tease me lately has been to say "hey, have you written a hub about this yet?" in relation to whatever we are doing at the time.

1. profile image0

Hm... good point. I guess I'm just reaching for inspiration anywhere. Never really thought to write about hobbies, but I don't think many people want to hear about my long hours of watching infomercials and yelling at the television set, or my conversations with my hair brush, or how half the time I adore my cats and half the time I view them as evil little beings. (I'm a bit of a shut in, actually. I have a small garden in my closed in porch, but that's about as far as I go outside unless I need to go buy something from the market.)

Hm... you know, I just made myself sound really insane, but it did give me an idea for a hub that wouldn't be too personal for me to write about. Thanks, relache. Your words of wisdom may have given me some inspiration.

2. Rafini profile image82
        Rafiniposted 14 years agoin reply to this

try writing about your personal side long-hand without any thoughts of sharing it with the world (such as in a journal)  after you get started it would be easier to bring it to HP

4. skyfire profile image80
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

One way to get over Writers block is constantly checking earning stats, this is good way to kick off writers block.

1. profile image0

Earning stats? I don't know what you're talking about with that. The only stats I know of are my stats to see how my hubs are doing, which I check at least 5-6 times a day lol

1. skyfire profile image80
        skyfireposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I mean stats in yieldbuild, google adsense, kontera etc. If it's low then writers block will be over. That is my experience. big_smile

1. profile image0

Hm... Well, I did sign up for Google AdSense. I just haven't done anything with it yet, other than watch videos I couldn't make sense of for about 3 hours straight. Wish someone would write a black and white guide for setting that up. Tried searching but even the hubs I uncovered make absolutely no sense to me. It'd be nice if someone would make a hub where they just said Click this. Type this into here. Copy/paste URL here, Click that, etc etc etc.

Never heard of yieldbuild or kontera. I may have to look into those. Anyway, thanks for the advice smile

5. TheWriterIVY profile image60
    TheWriterIVYposted 14 years ago

There are many ways to try to get over writers block - I did a Hub on this very subject a couple of weeks ago. One thing that really works for me is using the "brainspill" method. Just type, or write - anything that comes to your mind. Do not focus on spelling, punctuation or grammar - Just write whatever is in your head and later of course go back and make the appropriate corrections.
    As far as getting bored - I understand - You start something with a genuine interest and commitment to finishing it but boredom sets in or you would rather watch television or listen to music. When that happens - take some time out - half hour or so and do that. Writers block is a natural thing for most writers and probably the most frustrating if what you are expressing comes from the heart. Hope this helps.

6. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

*hands over my sledge hammer* here you go Pani...I hope this helps with writer's block big_smile

1. profile image0

You're a lifesaver, Crazdwriter big_smile

7. Ohma profile image59
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Pani I would love to see an insiders view of the child welfare system and residential treatment Facilities
    You touched on this in your 1 hub I think it would be very interesting to read a perspective that is not the official government garbage.

1. profile image0

Hm... I think I could manage that without getting too personal, actually. I'm sure you could tell from that hub... I was holding a lot back. But yeah, now that I think about it, that's definitely a voice no one gets to hear too often. Thanks, Ohma smile

1. Ohma profile image59
        Ohmaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Anyone that have read my hubs knows that I have a grandchild in a treatment facility. She was a victim of abuse at the hands of my daughters new boyfriend. The whole thing has been devistating to me and not knowing what really goes on is the hardest. I no longer trust the official to be telling us the truth.

1. profile image0

Ohma, I'm so sorry. Treatment facilities are difficult places to live in for awhile, but I'm sure she'll be fine. The important thing to remember is, when she gets out, try to get her back into the most normal of life possible. The worst thing about treatment facilities are that you forget how to live in the real world, which makes you continue going back.

8. profile image0
    Pani Midnyte Odinposted 14 years ago

Six new topics! Don't know how quickly I'll finish them, but you wonderful hubbers are so much help. I don't know how to thank you enough, other than to say I guess this is part of the reason why I love this community so much. Thanks again, everyone. For the tips and for the ideas smile

9. Ohma profile image59
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

She was young when she went in> I fear she will be much older than her years when she comes home.

10. profile image0
    Mrsincadosposted 14 years ago

I find writing and running my music player in the background or while I type helpful.

I have had a real tough struggle with depression, especially with the winter months. I find it prevents me from being of any use... but my playlists help me jive on through.

Doing an outline of whatever the topic may be helps, even if it is skeletal. 

I think it's good to ask your fellow writers (as a whole) for aid, not just an (or your) audience. The writing community is enormous and likewise, creative... There is no harm in doing so.

Hobbies or other activities that are of interest to you, or whatever you have a good knowledge of (i.e. computers, gaming, or cooking and so on) are a nice touch, just I myself don't want to feel like I am already doing what a lot of other people know (like pumping gas).

@Ohma That is very sad to hear, and I agree... never ever trust or believe what the officials say. I'd ask a few questions if I may but I do not feel it be suitable on the forums. I know it is a unrelenting situation. I wish all the best.

11. Betty Reid profile image59
    Betty Reidposted 14 years ago

If you are hesitant to open up about your problems, you could talk about what you've been learning as you overcome your problems.  I am guessing you've acquired new coping skills that the rest of us could benefit from, such as focusing on the things you can control, taking one day at a time, etc.  If you had a good foster home experience, you could talk about learning to feel accepted and loved, since the rest of us may just take this for granted.

12. Flightkeeper profile image68
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

Pani, i think there's lots you can write about given the subjects you've listed and they don't have to be that long. If you're like me I end up having to add to stuff after I've published them because I think about all those things afterward. That's what's great about hubpages is that you can keep editing them yourself.

I'm interested in hubs about Wicca and witchcraft. I think any personal hubs you want to post are up to you.

13. Rod Marsden profile image67
    Rod Marsdenposted 14 years ago

Okay...how is this for an idea...Wicca is a very old religion connected to nature and the natural world. Thanks to humans acting irresponsibly the natural world is fast disappearing. In Australia alone last year two species of animal life went extinct. The seas and the oceans of the world are being fished out. The Japanese won't stop whaling even though they are smart enough to know they are driving some species of whale to extinction. What is your Wicca take on all this?

Some ten years ago I read a Wiccan magazine on the dangers of genetic tampering with the food we grow to feed ourselves. Maybe you could do an update on what they called Frankenstein food.

Some ideas there for you.

14. lovelypaper profile image60
    lovelypaperposted 14 years ago

We all get stuck sometimes. I don't particularly want to write about a subject sometimes, but if I think people are needing the information or possibly searching the net for "it", I make myself do the research and write on a topic I think would be helpful. Here's an old trick I use to use for writing poetry: I once made this huge collage of just words and interesting pictures and pasted them randomly on a posterboard, covering the entire thing. So when I got stuck I looked up (it was in front of my desk) and I found a starting sentence or an idea for a topic just by looking at the collage. Hope this helps.

15. Kharisma1980 profile image77
    Kharisma1980posted 14 years ago

Hey,

Thanks for this! Two things, one about writer's block and other about a potential topic I'd love to hear your thoughts about.

First, have you tried "morning pages," that Julia Cameron suggests in her book "The Artist's Way"?

Second, I'm a Divinity student preparing for Christian religious ministry. I'd like to ask you about your experience with Christians, how you see broadly Catholic Christianity, etc. Is Wicca a contemporary reaction to certain kinds of Fundamentalism?

I just thought of something else. Third, how do you incorporate living with mental illness into your faith and ritual? I live with Cerebral Palsy, myself, and so I've had to think a lot about how being "gimpy" smile fits into my understanding of the Creator (whom I often refer to with feminine pronouns, just to stir the pot a little in Christian circles).

Blessings and deep peace,
    Rob

16. Sally's Trove profile image79
    Sally's Troveposted 14 years ago

Search "writer's block" on HubPages. Lots of good info there.

17. madeline emma profile image60
    madeline emmaposted 14 years ago

Hi,
    I'm new to this hubpage thing so may be a little slow on the uptake of this thread but you seem to have more life experience and therefore things to write about than most people.  I think you should dive in at the deep end, it's most exhillerating and the thrill of not knowing what people will think should spur you on.  Also I find that I like to write about my dreams or at least use them as a base because they are likely to present the most original though processes.  If all else fails writing about something you have experienced is always more compelling than making up something.

Good luck
    xx

1. profile image50
      twittersposted 13 years agoin reply to this

i t goes really hord to keep trak with hubs  smile

http://www.mezzi.com/Laptop-Cases/

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)