What are you reading this summer? How do you read?

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (37 posts)
  1. chassett profile image60
    chassettposted 13 years ago

So what's everyone reading this summer?

Some months ago, I picked up Patricia Cornwell's The Scarpetta Factor and am finally getting around to reading it.

You?

Another question: Do you read via a Kindle or Nook device, or are you a fan of the paperback or hardcover book-book?

CHW, fan of paperbacks

1. content profile image61
      contentposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am reading a bunch of personal development books right now.  I am almost done reading "How to Win Friends and Influence People"

2. Lora Palmer profile image60
      Lora Palmerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh, I've read some of the Scarpetta books awhile back and really enjoyed them.  This summer, I've read Stephenie Meyers' The Host for the second time, and I want to read Janet Evanovich's new Stephanie Plum book.

3. wmspringer profile image61
      wmspringerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I just finished reading a book on SEO on my Kindle, which I talked about on my book review site.

Currently on my kindle I'm reading a book on designing iPhone Apps, and on my computer I'm reading a book on Javascript and one on PHP. In magazines, I just got the latest issues of Analog Science Fiction and The Week.

4. wmspringer profile image61

I also have a couple of paperbacks on procrastination that I bought a few years ago and still haven't gotten around to reading..

5. profile image58
      molivas24posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Reading a whole lot of things this summer!
      Many classics that never got around to, and that have influenced the future of literature.
      Just finished Jane Eyre, really good!
      I like Patricia Cornwell!
      She's very similar to Kathy Reichs, who is the inspiration for the 'Bones' tv show! Both are very good.

Still reading from actual books, borrowed from the public library.

2. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

I'm reading Jane Austin classics, essays from Emerson and Thoreau on a Kindle. it takes reading to a new level. I thought I would miss holding the actual book, but I find it much easier to read with an e-book.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

I'm reading To Kill a Mockingbird again smile I also plan to reread a couple of my favorite classics; East of Eden and The Great Gatsby. All on my kindle as well smile

4. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

I've read some terrific books this summer.

Nancy Pickard has become one of my favorite writers - I just finished "The Scent of Rain and Lightning" - a beautifully written family saga that is also a murder mystery.

Vintage Affair by Isabel Wolff. A woman gives up a dream career at Sotheby's to open a Vintage Clothing Shop. A mystery in her life and in one of the women she meets to buy clothes from had me hooked from page 1.

Prayer for Silence by Linda Castillo. Her murder mystery series set in a small Ohio town populated by Amish is one I look forward to. But like all small-town series how do you justify all those murders in a population of 15,000.

All read on my nook - which I've had since November 2009, and don't ever want to read a paper copy of a book again. Love to be able to adjust the font size.

1. profile image0
      girly_girl09posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ahaha this made me think of the TV series Murder She Wrote! big_smile (Just remembered they have all the seasons on Netflix to watch instantly!)

Anyways, I remember reading on Wikipedia that the NYT calculated a whopping 2% of the population of Cabot Cove was murdered during the series.

5. Sara555 profile image68
    Sara555posted 13 years ago

I read American Gods by Neil Gailman. It's a really good book with a crazy, intricate plot. It's one of my favorites now. I also just finished Catch-22, another good book.

I like reading with an actual book, not Kindle.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Have you tried a Kindle?

I still read "real" books, but I find it so convenient.

1. KFlippin profile image61
        KFlippinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

UW.... do you find the screen is easier on your eyes than a typical computer screen?  Is glare a problem? Just wondering if maybe since it is focused solely on reading, whether it's made somehow easier on the eyes.

1. wmspringer profile image61

Flippen, not only is the Kindle MUCH easier on the eyes than a computer screen (I DETEST reading books on a monitor, though I read computer books that way anyway since I need to be programming at the same time), it's easier on the eyes than actual paper. I can read for hours without my eyes getting tired, which I can't do with a real book.

6. Italmeansumthin profile image59
    Italmeansumthinposted 13 years ago

I am a BIG fan of collecting paperbacks and hardbacks. I don't really enjoy a media device, although I understand how it can be helpful!
    This summer I have 2 on my reading list. I'm a big fan of Jodi Picoult. She is a whole collection that are easy to read and easy to relate to. Right now I'm reading "Vanishing Acts."
    I'm also reading "The Girl who kicked the Hornet's Nest, " by Stieg Larsson. I actually just went into Barnes and Noble and asked what some of the more popular books are  right now, and he recommended this one. It is very capturing. If I wasn't trying to finish this other one by Picoult, I would have never put this one down!

1. wmspringer profile image61

I was very sad recently that I had to get rid of a number of books; alas, I'm getting married and no longer have as much space to store them all! That's actually one of the main reasons I'm moving into ebooks; I just can't justify the space my paperbacks take up. (The leather-bound editions I can at least claim are display pieces! :-))

2. lizzyroe profile image59
      lizzyroeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Did you read Picoult's "Nineteen Minutes"? Such an incredible story, had me in tears for days. I love how she makes you look at things from a different point-of-view.

7. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 13 years ago

I am reading a textbook on evidence as well as a state evidence treatise and another evidence applications book. (Note, this is for a summer course...but I probably read more than I have to for pleasure, since I love the topic.) I'm also getting a head start on texts for next semester!

For pure recreation, I'm reading Master Your Metabolism by Jillian Michaels, Kafka's The Trial, Wuthering Heights (I promised an English prof I'd read it this summer as I did a term paper on Bronte) and I have a few mystery books that are really corny but I want to read them before summer is over. I read all that stuff on my Kindle, except for my textbooks. If I have time (doubtful), I want to read Tess Gerritsen's new release, "The Killing Place".

8. Teresa McGurk profile image60
    Teresa McGurkposted 13 years ago

I find I can read now if I download the book onto my computer and increase the font size a ridiculous amount--this is excellent, has nothing to do with my eyesight, and everything to do with the ADD that was bunching all the words up and making them stick their tongues out at me.

So I just finished the last of the Steig Larsson trilogy The Girl. . .; this one's The Girl Who sat on a Hornet, or something.  Picked up a Hornet's Nest, maybe.

Woo hoo!  Next it's rereading The Name of the Rose for a book project.  (On pages, though, so it might take a while.)

Summer's a great time to put the AC on full blast, and curl up with a good laptop!

9. rebekahELLE profile image84

this sounds like one I would like! thanks for the review.

10. profile image35
    Dcate27posted 13 years ago

So, the question is...what? How to read, right? Okay, well, here is how to read: One, be literate; two, pick a book; three, take said book off the shelf; four, open the book; five, go to the first page; six, start to read; seven, continue reading until you are done-or too tired to anymore-whichever comes first. Thank you very much for reading "How to read" by Dcate27.

11. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

I'm going to add David Hagberg's "The Cabal" to my must-read summer list. Hagberg gained fame after 9/11 because one of this book's plots so closely mirrored the WTC attack. His latest book is no less a scary plot. Conspiracy lovers shouldn't miss this one!

12. Jael Turner profile image59
    Jael Turnerposted 13 years ago

I stopped reading a while back and have been listening to books. I do a lot of staring at computer screens at work, and I find that my eyes are shot if I try to read at night. So instead I listen to books. Besides the commercial sites like Audible.com and others, there are free download sites, LibiVox.org where volunteers read the classics, and so one can bone up on one's Thomas Hardy or Joseph Conrad while driving to work, exercising or just sitting back and relaxing.

The last book I listened to was Conrad's Typhoon, which was really a good "read". The man was Polish, but his English is impecable and he was one fo the most popular writers of his time. Hardy's Tess of the D'Ubervilles is also a good listen...read. jael

13. profile image0
    Words by Mikeposted 13 years ago

Nothing will ever replace the experience of the paperback. We are to connected to electronic devices as it stands in this technological age.

14. Arthur Fontes profile image74
    Arthur Fontesposted 13 years ago

I have three books already in order for the summer

I just started.

"From Beirut to Jerusalem" by Thomas Friedman

Then

"Holocaust" by Martin Gilbert

Finally I have

"Postwar" By Tony Judt

I was inspired by recent events to gain more knowledge of Europe and the Middle East.

15. KFlippin profile image61
    KFlippinposted 13 years ago

Just finished reading 'American Captain' by Edison Marshall, written in 1954.  Awesome read, and it presents an interesting viewpoint on Arabs and Allah at an individual tribal level quite beautifully.  The setting is America, Arabia, Africa, and England during the Revolutionary War.  Not a page flipping paperback type read, not because it's not interesting, but because it's one to relish, didn't want it to end and leave the world he'd drawn.

16. nataliemarie71 profile image61
    nataliemarie71posted 13 years ago

I am reading all different types of books.  Believe it or not I am reading 5 books right now!  I absolutely love to read! Everyday I spend the whole day with one of those books, and I read as much of it as I can. Some days I can read 5 chapters, and other days I'm lucky if I can get through 1 page. Then the next day I move on to the next book in my pile. People think I'm crazy! They ask me how I can read this way, and I tell them it is no problem because my memory will always bring me back to where I left off which may have been 5 days before. If I see a book I am interested in I grab it. Reading is my addiction!

17. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

I read hubs. wink lol lol lol

18. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

..i'm reading some pretty dry stuff...financially and politically relevant...work....

but for fun...i get to the read the hubs coming my way...

and...i get to read these fun threads...

winter seems to be the time that i actually get to read books that spark my interest....sometimes I polish off a book in a day or 2....

19. lizzyroe profile image59
    lizzyroeposted 13 years ago

I'm rereading Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot books. They're all so amazing and are helping understand how to write a good mystery novel.

20. All-Things-Red profile image60
    All-Things-Redposted 13 years ago

I have a part time job in a book store and i think summer is the only time when contemporary fiction out sells crime. As for me i'm reading Babur Nama which is great and informative in any season.

1. lizzyroe profile image59
      lizzyroeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm so jealous! Is it hard not to spend all your money on books?

21. rebekahELLE profile image84

I just read this list if anyone is interested.
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor … =104067703

it's raining outside, a perfect time to read.. hope everyone is enjoying their weekend.

22. lovebuglena profile image84
    lovebuglenaposted 13 years ago

Right now I am reading the novel of C.D Payne - The journals of Nick Twisp. I saw the first book of this saga 'Youth in Revolt' in the library purely by accident and didn't take it out at first, but then decided to give the book a shot, and loved it so much that I went ahead and bought this book along with all the sequels. Am reading the last book of this saga. The journals of Nick Twisp are awesome and this last book, which includes the journals of his brother are great too.

Lena

23. profile image0
    LegendaryHeroposted 13 years ago

Currently I'm working on Book 2 of the Wheel of Time series - The Great Hunt.

24. Lisabean2202 profile image90
    Lisabean2202posted 4 years ago

I love to read and like to get recommendations from friends to vary what I'm reading. So long as it isn't a thriller or too scary, I'll read it! I use to swear I'd never read a book on an electronic device, paper was the only kind of book I'd read. These days I swear by audiobooks-it's the best way to clean my house and "read" a book. But I usually have several books going at once, one audiobook for when I'm doing menial work around the house, another kindle or paper book for bedtime reading.

25. Melinda Dawson profile image60
    Melinda Dawsonposted 4 years ago

I'm currently reading two books. A Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin I'm listening to on Audible, and I'm reading The Inferno by Dante Alighieri in paperback.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)