This is harder than I thought...

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)
  1. profile image0
    3 Finger Readerposted 13 years ago

I have to admit, folks, that I'm feeling a bit discouraged right now.

I've been struggling with my writing to some degree--I don't have writer's block, I don't lack for ideas for hubs, and I don't lack for inspiration or anything, but this is a lot harder than I thought it would be.

I don't have the internet at home right now, so most of the time I head out to public places, like the library or a coffee shop just to use the free wi-fi and try to get things done---but it's tough.

I find it hard to concentrate in public places because of the noise and activity, and I feel all sorts of internal pressure when it come to my writing.  I want it to be perfect, I want it to merit and retain a high hub score (though I've realized that they fluctuate up and down a great deal and there's nothing I can do about that, and I'll drive myself crazy constantly watching the scores change and the traffic increase and decrease).  I'm constantly bombarded by my inner critic, and it's driving me crazy.

I'm unemployed right now, and it sucks.  I've been looking for work for while and there's nothing out there, it seems.  I intend to go back to school come summer semester, but in the meantime I thought I would try to write and really make a go of it.

See, I wanted this for a long time--to be a writer and a writer only. My ultimate goal is to write fiction and get it published, and, if I'm lucky enough, to make my living solely through writing.

But this is a lot harder, as I said, then I thought it would be.

I'm feeling really down.  Is anybody really making any money for hubpages?

1. xxfourthelement profile image61
      xxfourthelementposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Although I'm fairly new to HubPages, I definitely feel for you.  (I'm a senior in college double-majoring in creative writing and journalism.)

While I can't really give you much advice about HubPages, I do know that people ARE making money - except it's more of a supplement than a main source of income.

I do have a few suggestions for you, however, if you really want to write full-time.

1. Buy a copy of Writer's Market.  This is the freelancer's BIBLE.  You will learn so much just from reading it.  You can either buy a copy (which I recommend if you're serious), but you can also get it at many public libraries, since it's pretty much standard.

2. Network.  Hopefully, you know what this means when talking about writing.  If not, feel free to ask, and I can clarify.

3. Don't give up.  Eventually, if you keep looking, you'll find what you're looking for.  The more you try, the more likely you are to achieve what you want.  What do you write?  Different types of writing have different markets available.

4. Don't be afraid to try something new.  If you write poetry and have never done an open mic, check out coffee shops in your area and read one or two poems.  If you haven't ever tried submitting a short story somewhere, try it out.

I hope this helps.  If you need any more moral support, feel free to drop a line.  smile

2. tmbridgeland profile image80
      tmbridgelandposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I made $2.16 so far...in a month. Most of my original hubs get one or two hits every day or two. So if I want a thousand hits a day, I'll need about 1500 hubs for each click...or else figure out a better way to do this. Since I don't like social networking, it's gonna be hard.

2. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Keep at it. Don't give up.

Yes, you can make money from writing, but it is difficult to do, because you have to decide "how" you want to make money from writing and that's always the hardest part.

There are so many different ways to do it. Select a method, learn as much as you can about it and then put what you learn into action.

Your own faith in your ability to learn is going to be your sole source of power.

I hope that helps. smile

3. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

People do make money, but it can take awhile.  I would have trouble trying to write on a public computer too.  I'm OK in public if I have my own little laptop because I'm not worrying about people wanting to use a public computer, and it's not a matter of having to sit somewhere (like the library) and be writing with someone a foot and a half away from one arm or another.  I just couldn't do it.  With a laptop you can kind of find a corner somewhere, don't have to worry about getting stuff off the public computer before leaving, etc.

I wonder if you'd be better off trying to get the stuff in writing (either by hand or a computer), and just having to type it at somewhere like the library.  OR, what about something like researching and collecting notes at one session, maybe getting something like a handwritten outline down from notes (maybe e.mailed to yourself or else on a flash drive or disk) at home, and just polishing up what you put together at home once you're at the public computer?

In any case, two months isn't long at all.  Don't get discouraged.  Writing aims aside, since it's a challenge to come up with Hubs for now, maybe aim for product Hubs.  They require less inspiration and can be done in a more systematic, methodical, way.  There has to be a way you can break down the steps to writing something like product Hubs that will work for you in your public-computer situation.

4. Randy Godwin profile image59
    Randy Godwinposted 13 years ago

Social networking is not required to make money here.  I do none and still earn a few hundred a month here.  You must pick your subjects carefully and research them thoroughly for the right results.  Using the correct keywords will help immensely!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)