jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)

Your experience of E-book self-publishing

1. richtwf profile image61
    richtwfposted 6 years ago

I am looking at e-book self-publishing online and would appreciate anyone's comments on their own experiences (FastPencil, CreateSpace, Smashwords, EPub Bud, Lulu, Qbit).

1. sofs profile image84
      sofsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Hey Richtwf, I have no comments to offer on the subject  but I am glad to see you back. Hope all is well with you smile cheers!!

2. profile image0
      Fiddlemanposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Rich, I uploaded my books to Amazon Kindle and it's easy. So far no big bucks but at least they are on the shelf.

3. lovebuglena profile image88
      lovebuglenaposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I've used lulu to publish perfect bound books and it was easy. Publishing e-books with them is easy too. You can even distribute e-books outside of lulu from what I heard.

1. Lissie profile image79
        Lissieposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure why you'd use Lulu for ebooks. The big players are Amazon's Kindle and smashwords - both of which are free to use.

2. richtwf profile image61
    richtwfposted 6 years ago

@Sofs:

Hi Sofs and hope you're well too. I am fine and all is well thanks. Hope to start writing again soon. Cheers!

@Fiddleman:

Thanks for your reply. It must feel good to know that your books are out there for others to see. I am hoping to experience that too. Cheers and congrats!

3. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 6 years ago

If you are self-publishing an ebook there is no need to pay a cut of royalties to someone like Lulu.  Just get a clean copy formatted, commission a decent cover, and upload.

4. dutchman1951 profile image60
    dutchman1951posted 6 years ago

attempted it, not a good experience for me, did not do well

5. lex123 profile image72
    lex123posted 6 years ago

I uploaded 4 books, including one for free. Everything went on well, now they are included in the premier list.

6. earnestshub profile image88
    earnestshubposted 6 years ago

By self publish, I thought you meant publish it online yourself and sell it directly from your website. I know how to do that, but you may not like to do all the work needed to do it successfully. smile

7. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 6 years ago

I dabbled with it but it is a lot of work and takes some savvy of a variety I don't really have.  I went back to submitting to small presses and letting them do all that stuff.

working