Sci-Fi/Fantasy Inspiration

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (17 posts)
  1. profile image58
    dust2duskposted 12 years ago

I know it's kind of an overdone question, but I'm curious: who are your inspirations for your sci-fi and/or fantasy writing? Who really sets the bar for you, and in what way?

For me, this list goes something like this:
    -Joss Whedon (for the incredible dialogue and tendency to turn tropes on their heads)
    -Hayao Miyazaki (for his capacity for building fantastic worlds and developing subtle and complex plots)
    -Anne Rice (for proving that one can write sensual prose about anything, including streets, books, old chairs, and dead guys)
    -R.A. Salvatore (for demonstrating growing moral awareness in both his characters and, I suspect, himself over the course of his writing career)
    -Jim Butcher (for melding the genres of film-noir-detective-drama with action-fantasy and proving that such a thing can be done well)
    -Eric Kripke (for great dialogue and for creating deeply flawed characters that you can still love)

Yeah, I've included people who did tv shows and movies here. It's a different style of story-telling, but it can still be a great source of inspiration.

1. cdub77 profile image69
      cdub77posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Speaking of different types of inspiration, R.A. Salvatore has a video game coming out, I'm very interested in that.  I tend to like Ursula K. Le Guin and Philip K. Dick. or anyone else with the initial K. (j/k).

2. AdeleCosgroveBray profile image88
    AdeleCosgroveBrayposted 12 years ago

I write fantasy short stories and novels.  Some have been published, too.  smile

My ideas come from all over the place.  I don't understand writers who say they're short of ideas.  I never have anything like enough time to write all the ideas I have!  My ideas  come from foklore, ancient history, art (I've a background in pottery and fine art), and also philosophy.  Less lofty sources can include random bits of conversation overheard on the train, or a photo which gets my interest for any one of a million reasons; or by simply asking 'what if...?'

3. profile image0
    RookerySpoonerposted 12 years ago

If fairy tales are included as fantasy, then Hans Chritian Andersen and Oscar Wilde are my inspirations.

4. Johnjfernando profile image60
    Johnjfernandoposted 12 years ago

Jim Hawkins from Treasure Planet
    Lord of the Rings
    Silver from Treasure Planet/Treasure Island

I thought wanting to write sci-fi/fantasy adventure since i was 11 years old. I started imagining about it when i was probably six. I am currently working on a 7 part series novel that i worked on to put together for more than 7 yrs now. Also some mini novels i call, 'character speicals' about cetain characters that have a great impact on the story all around.
    here is my link to the preview of it:

http://johnjfernando.hubpages.com/hub/John-Tobio

1. LookingForWalden profile image60
      LookingForWaldenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Butchers the man.

Tolkien is the best there ever will be though.

2. Captain Redbeard profile image61
      Captain Redbeardposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Treasure Planet was a great retelling of an epic story. Almost as good as the muppet version big_smile

1. Johnjfernando profile image60
        Johnjfernandoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, epecially with Captain Flint and Long John Silver. This was adaptation from the novel, 'Treasure Island.'

5. profile image60
    logic,commonsenseposted 12 years ago

Stephen Donaldson
    Harlan Ellison-his Dangerous Visions trilogy started a new wave.

6. LookingForWalden profile image60
    LookingForWaldenposted 12 years ago

I know a lot of people like him but I like a lot of Simon R. Green's stuff.

Also I find lovecraft seeping into my writing style.

7. couturepopcafe profile image60
    couturepopcafeposted 12 years ago

Still like Neil Gaimen and Charles Vess.

8. brittanytodd profile image87
    brittanytoddposted 12 years ago

No one has said Vonnegut yet?  He's amazing.  The first story in Bagombo Suff Box is one of the best sci-fi narratives I have read.

1. cdub77 profile image69
      cdub77posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I always forget Vonnegut can be considered sci-fi.  Great addition to the list.

9. brittanytodd profile image87
    brittanytoddposted 12 years ago

Thank you.  Pynchon is also another favorite.

10. Captain Redbeard profile image61
    Captain Redbeardposted 12 years ago

I think Tolkien is certainly top notch. Before him I don't think there was anything quite on the scale as The Hobbit and LOTR trilogy set and all the other stories he wrote about middle earth. He plays a huge role in my mind when I writing something in high end fantasy.

sci/fi is a certainly a different kind o' beast isn’t it? Everything from the Fantastic Four comics, Star Trek books back to one of my favorite stories of all time, The Time Machine by Mr. Wells himself just before the turn of the century in the 1890's. I think Wells is probably my favorite. With stories like The Island of Dr. Moreau and The Invisible Man, my imagination is consistently asking, "What if?"

1. LookingForWalden profile image60
      LookingForWaldenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Good call on Wells.

11. emichael profile image59
    emichaelposted 12 years ago

H.G. Wells is a big inspiration of mine. Also Bradbury and Orson Scott Card

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)