Best 80s/90s Sci-Fi Movies?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (20 posts)
  1. Maddie Ruud profile image71
    Maddie Ruudposted 12 years ago

As many of you know, I've been suffering with a chronic headache for about a year and a half now.  When the pain is really bad, I cannot read, but find it difficult to follow the plot of a quality film.

Enter bad 80s sci-fi.  I love the stuff.  It's easy to follow and hilarious... and you know what they say about laughter being the best medicine.  So I'm looking for recommendations.

What are the most awesomely bad 80s/90s fantasy or sci-fi movies you can think of?  Really now.  Give me your worst.

1. SimeyC profile image89
      SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Aww man 'Attack of the Killer Tomatoes came out in 1978'.
      Hmm

Maddie Ruudposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Close enough.  Awesome suggestion!

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60
          Ron Montgomeryposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Also from the 70's - Kingdom of the Spiders, filmed in Camp Verde, AZ.  William Shatner, who's comeback is mainly due to his silly Priceline commercials, is so embarrassed by his performance in this awful movie that he refuses to come back to Camp Verde to celebrate the film's 40th anniversary.

2. Shinkicker profile image55
      Shinkickerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

TOTAL RECALL. Terrible movie. Not a big fan of Paul Verhoeven and Arnie's acting was as bad as ever.

STARSHIP TROOPERS. Yet again another Verhoeven blood-fest with a stupid plot and rotten acting. Why didn't they just napalm the big beasties instead of fighting them on the ground with puny weapons? Ridiculous movie. I was cheering for the beasties by the end LOL

2. Aficionada profile image81
    Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

I actually had one to suggest, but it was so bad I have blocked out the name.

When I was pregnant, watching the movie made me more nauseated than any food or smells did.

I'll ask my husband if he can help me remember it.  Good luck with the laughter therapy.  It helped Norman Cousins!

3. Aficionada profile image81
    Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

Okay, so I checked on IMDb and apparently it was intended to be funny and to parody other horror movies. 

Tremors.  Still, yuck! 

I guess it doesn't really fall within the category of sci-fi.  Not so sure about fantasy, either.  But - beyond belief, awful, and funny - yeah, I think it fits.  big_smile

Maddie Ruudposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, I'll definitely check it out!

4. waynet profile image67
    waynetposted 12 years ago

Bad Taste or Braindead, both are from Lord of the Rings Director Peter Jackson and they are not serious fantasy/horror/sci-fi movies and they certainly raise a laugh or two with some cheesy and quite hilarious acting along the way!

With comical violence and gore that never gets serious, just crazy and mad...certainly worth a laugh....

5. dungeonraider profile image86
    dungeonraiderposted 12 years ago

Krull (fantasy sci-fi), Dune was awful, Star Trek motion pictures (original cast) was pretty bad all around but epic.  You'd have to be a trekkie to understand.

6. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

Def-Con 4

Made in Canada... but not our fault

7. FatFreddysCat profile image95
    FatFreddysCatposted 12 years ago

You really, REALLY need to see "Star Crash," a 1979 Italian-made "Star Wars" wanna-bee that stars a young David Hasselhoff (yes, really) in one of his earliest film roles. Seriously. Best. Bad. Sci-Fi. Movie. Ever.

8. optimus grimlock profile image60
    optimus grimlockposted 12 years ago

space pirates was awesome came out in the mid 80's

9. Maddie Ruud profile image71
    Maddie Ruudposted 12 years ago

Thanks, guys.  I'm making a list, checking it twice.  I know there are some more sci-fi geeks out there, though.  C'mon guys.  What else am I missing?

10. profile image52
    vikki28posted 12 years ago

hey i love si-fi me and my fella i love sifi films i loved star trek on the virgin channel with captin jane way. i suffer from servere headaches i have tried 4head the stick you rub on ya head it made it worse so i tried soothe head and it help. it is so annoying i cant focus on a good fantasy book, and films hurt my eyes and the noise always seems to loud anyway im vikki nice o chat take care

1. shogan profile image76
      shoganposted 12 years agoin reply to this

vikki, it took you 9 months to make that post?!

1. profile image52
        vikki28posted 12 years agoin reply to this

aint been on here 4 yonks forgot i was sighned up im sighned up with olts of stuff like paying survey sites i make a bit  lol n e way soz 4 bing 2 long .  howz u?

11. TamCor profile image80
    TamCorposted 12 years ago

If you like "bad" sci-fi, then check out the SyFy channel...this month is full of them because of Halloween!

Not sure of the release dates of any of them, but most of them definitely fall into the bad category, lol--we love them! smile

12. leahlefler profile image93
    leahleflerposted 12 years ago

Goodness, I'm having to reach back a while here...

Space Balls (I'm always up for anything Mel Brooks)
    Beetlegeuse
    Tremors (already mentioned)
    Mars Attacks
    Galaxy Quest

There are a few more, but my feeble brain needs more coffee!

1. profile image52
      vikki28posted 12 years agoin reply to this

hey have you seen  LEXX  si-fi tv seris it is not on n e more you can down load it though it is funny, rude and you need a wacky sence of humour. it has a talking space ship a dawky guy and and a hot girl my fella loved it  also farscape is brilliant i loved rigiell the little alien it is one of my fave tv series's anyway check it out

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)