Learning to really write

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (17 posts)
  1. LilySomers27 profile image61
    LilySomers27posted 12 years ago

Where to start? Has anyone ever had a goal that they would like to achieve, but don't even know where to begin? I love reading and writing and would be so proud to be able call myself an author one day, but just don't know where to begin. I have actually jotted down character names, where the book would take place, and interesting traits about my characters, but don't really have a story to put together. Like how do I want the story to start, how will I keep it going, and will I know when to end it? Its such a long process and honestly an overwhelming one at that. Does anyone know a good book with tips on starting points? Or have any tips they would like to offer from personal experience? I would love to hear any feedback. This has been a dream of mine for quite a while now, but I really just started working on writing/blogging this past year. I can't wait to start putting the pieces together and really make something of it.

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
      couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There are a ton of books out there.  First decide what genre you want to write in.  Mystery, thriller, crime, romance, etc.  Then find a book that has a title like:  How to write a mystery.  How to write a romance novel.  They're out there and easy to find. 

Don't worry about how to keep a story going or where/when to end it.  That's only going to inhibit your creativity.  It sounds like you have started already with some characters and places. 

I work with slips of paper.  When I get an idea, I write it down on a piece of paper but I may not know where it's going to fit into the story yet.  I know this sounds a bit crazy but eventually it will fit together like a puzzle.  It may not work for you.  Some people like to make an actual outline.  Some start with knowing the ending and work backwards. 

The best advice I can give is just start writing.  You do need some idea of the story though.  Start with a short story.  It's quicker to get to the ending.  I've written two novels built around short stories. 

If you're really stuck on structure though, get the how to book.  I find them confusing and only read one after I'd written my story to see if I could learn anything more.

You're going to make mistakes.  Just do it.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 12 years ago

Yes, I agree, but it also depends on what king of writing (and what kind of audience) you are aiming for.

One of the oldest and best guides to writing is the classic  "The Elements of Style" by Strunk and White.
    It is a slim volume, but the pithy suggestions are evergreen.

Write it out, whatever it is, and then compare it to the suggestions in this little book-- it pretty much insures improvement.

3. iviskei profile image71
    iviskeiposted 12 years ago

I suggest 'No Plot? No Problem!" by Chris Batty. Chris started National Novel Writing Month (nanowrimo), where hundreds of people from around the world try to write a novel in a month. It's a fun challenge is you wanna start there. And even if you don't, but book is a great help!

The best advice I can give you is to just write whatever comes to mind. You'll soon find that your characters will start acting on their own and the story will just come to you. ^_^

4. AshtonFirefly profile image70
    AshtonFireflyposted 12 years ago

The best advice I can give you, from personal experience, is this:
    if you have a character you like, or a setting you like, just start writing.
    No plot. No storyline. Nothing. Just see where your imagination takes you. Doesn't mean you have to keep everything. Just let your imagination go crazy and write down everything you think, without considering (yet) whether or not it will work. I use this technique a lot when trying to just "get a story out" when I have an inkling on how to write but don't quite know how to get it done. Good luck from a fellow writer! smile

5. profile image0
    The Writers Dogposted 12 years ago

Write what you know.

6. capricornrising profile image60
    capricornrisingposted 12 years ago

I took two creative writing classes in college - almost minored in the subject. The best advice I ever got was to just write - set aside some time, say an hour, every day to sit down and start writing whatever came into my head.

One thing that changed my writing was keeping a journal, which I did for several decades (and I'm about to start again). You'd be surprised at how helpful that is.

Also, I wrote some of my best stories around writing prompts we were given in class: words like "voice" and "home" and "dreams."

And I agree with the advice to "write what you know." And you do know more than you think you know. What are you passionate about? What experiences have you had that might be useful to others? I've personally been keeping a running list: recipes, political opinions, tips and tricks, etc.

Last thing: what was the last piece of writing that really moved you, whether fiction or non-fiction? The answer might give you some ideas about what kind of writing you'll most enjoy.

1. LilySomers27 profile image61
      LilySomers27posted 12 years agoin reply to this

thank you so much for your help. I have been writing a little each day (whatever comes to me), and it's more than I have ever written before. Things just seem to continue flowing... I am loving it.

And now you know the secret to the magic!  The muse will strike if you take the first step.  Check out http://www.virtualsalt.com/rhetoric.htm for some excellent technical information which you may or may not be ready for.  Save the link to your favorites because someday you may want it if not now.

Good for you!!

1. capricornrising profile image60
          capricornrisingposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Fabulous link, couturepopcafe! I'm bookmarking it myself.

2. capricornrising profile image60

Congratulations, Lily!

7. Steele Fields profile image68
    Steele Fieldsposted 12 years ago

The Gotham Writer's' Workshop.  Absolutely, hands down, the one I went to time after time for advice and inspiration during my five year process of writing my first (and only, to date) novel.  Also, buy yourself a copy of Bird by Bird by Ann Lamont and Writing Down the BOnes, by Natalie Goldberg.  You won't be disappointed on either front.  Totally awesome.

1. capricornrising profile image60

Excellent! Thanks for the recommendations!

2. couturepopcafe profile image60

+1

8. Mayo24 profile image60
    Mayo24posted 12 years ago

I find using mind mapping a good way to begin expanding on a story idea and generally speaking, your story will evolve from there. The mind map will help you link all your ideas together effectively. The great thing about mind mapping is it continues to develop as your story creativity develops and it can be changed if it needs to be. It will give you a visual reminder to keep coming back to and to work from as you beginning writing.

A mind map is ...
      A mind map, or spidergram, is a strategy for making notes on a topic, prior to writing. It is a structured strategy, which shows the (hierarchical) relationship of ideas.

I write fiction and don't always have ALL the ideas ahead of time to map out.  I make a bunch of notes on different pieces of paper according to what different characters might do and lay them all out in some order.  The papers evolve, are added to, sometimes dismissed as unusable (rare - if I liked it enough to put it on paper, I'll find a way to work it into the story - this actually forces me to think outside the comfort box).

Eventually, all the pieces are used up, the puzzle starts to come together.  Mind mapping, in my experience, is a living thing.  It will change as your story progresses.  You'll add new snippets, use them, add more, etc.

9. livewithrichard profile image72
    livewithrichardposted 12 years ago

The old saying 'write what you know' has always been the best advice.  Sure it's a little vague but if you look inside yourself I'm sure you can come up with several examples of personal happiness, heartache, tragedy, bliss, etc... that you can draw from to give your characters life.  If that does not work then try to recall a favorite story of yours and recreate it.  Check out my hub titled "How to Write the Romantic Comedy Screenplay Structure" to get an idea of what I am talking about. 

The basic structure of every story ever told is the same for it's particular genre, and once you know the structure you can flesh it out with amazing stories of your own with ease.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)