jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

Is there anyway to keep squirrels away!!

1. serwya profile image58
    serwyaposted 8 years ago

Is there anyway to keep squirrels away!!

Weve tried cages, bought mothball smelling sacks of "squirrel away", boo balloons. So far nothing works, though the predator eyes keep them away for a few days, they return after they ascertain they'r

2. J. Kumm profile image58
    J. Kummposted 8 years ago

When we were kids, my parents would use our hair clippings and spread them out in the sweet corn patches to keep raccoons away. You might want to give that a try for squirrels.

You could also get a yap happy doggy.

3. marisuewrites profile image56
    marisuewritesposted 8 years ago

You could move to the dessert...

teasing...

Actually if you live where there are squirrels, everything I've read says to learn to live with them.  In Oklahoma, we have big red fat squirrels and they are quite comical.  To protect our immediate area, where we wanted to feed birds, we built a squirrel treat feeder further away from the back yard porch section, and they mainly hung around the feeders.

Be careful not to leave scraps and food close to your house, and do tantalize them to an area further away from you...they require lots of food.

Our problem was a pecan tree right next to the house.  We just had to live with it. 

I hope you won't decide to set traps.  They are just doing what squirrels do. 

smile

4. Bozoplay profile image82
    Bozoplayposted 8 years ago

Their natural predators are red-tailed hawks, wildcats, foxes, owls, raccoons, and opossums. So it would seem it is pretty hard to have these around so a few cats might keep them away. Squirrels just eat a lot so you need to look at what their eating of yours and see if there is any way to remove this food supply so they will look elsewhere. There territory is supposed be 1-100 acres so they will move if the food disappears. Some gardeners use the hair clippings/dog hair/cat air approach that J. Kumm suggests so that is worth a try. That's what I found from scanning a few websites. The cat idea is just what I remember in our neighbourhood. Not too many squirrels. We had more raccoons and skunks roaming around.

And there are websites for everything. http://www.squirrels.org/control.html

5. RVDaniels profile image76
    RVDanielsposted 8 years ago

I have had personal experience with this problem. Get a cat. This is a humane solution because the cats can't catch the squirrels but their presence in the yard will make the squirrels leave.
    Hop I was able to help.

6. profile image44
    Queen Bee Deborahposted 8 years ago

I agree with getting a cat.  There are a lot of squirrels around my neighborhood and I see plenty of them.  This year I started gardening and I wondered If the squirrels would eat my vegetables.  I did not see one squirrel in my yard or garden nor did I see any other animals that might tend to get into a garden except the neighbors cats and of course, my cat Gracie, who thinks she is really helping out in the garden.  Well, I guess she, and they must be some help or was it all the basil that kept them away?

7. Hi-Jinks profile image60
    Hi-Jinksposted 8 years ago

My folks were raised on squirrel. Need recipes?

8. profile image47
    smartguy38posted 8 years ago

I have successfully used two techniques. First, I put set wooden old-fashioned mouse traps face down. When the squirrels touch the traps, they snap shut scaring them away. Since you put them face down, nobody gets hurt.

The other method is to put a screen with larger holes over the planted area (particularly pots). They and neighboring cats can't dig through to the underlying bulbs or whatever.

9. Lady Rose profile image76
    Lady Roseposted 7 years ago

Maybe is because there aren't any squirrels where i live, but i adore those animals! If they are being a pest to you, why not get a cat? They usually wont come close to your home if the cat is around.

10. Andrea Mearim profile image51
    Andrea Mearimposted 6 years ago

red hot chili pepers all over they hate the hot smell and it keeps them away for a bit, then you have to do it again;)
    i have the same problem the cat doesnt keep them away but the hott peper flakes do;)

working