Squirrels, cute little creatures or tree-rats?

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (57 posts)
  1. Origin profile image59
    Originposted 14 years ago

Some people seem to really love squirrels, and others seem to view them as rats that live in the trees, that spread disease and sickness much like sewer rats.

Do you like squirrels? Or do you view them as disease spreading rodents?

big_smile

1. Jerami profile image60
      Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Squirrels are cute little tree rats. You can teach them that it is safe to come up and eat out of your hand. Wasn't aware that they carried any diseases? 

If times ever get tough enough; I know from my childhood that they make great stew and gravy.

2. JulesGerome profile image60
      JulesGeromeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't think they spread more diseases than humans. LOL

1. rebekahELLE profile image86
        rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

probably very true!

I have a number of them in my trees. they're kind of cute to watch scamper through the trees, over the screen to the roof to the front yard trees and back.

1. JulesGerome profile image60
          JulesGeromeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I like all kind of animals. Even humans.

3. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't care either way. so long as they leave my food and house alone. The whole "spreading sickness" is lame. What sickness do they spread? They ARE gross to have in your walls, but if they stay outside they dont bother me. I wouldnt say they are cute, but I can ignore them.

2. myownworld profile image71
    myownworldposted 14 years ago

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_IPZxrap1eb8/SZLelQZheGI/AAAAAAAAAd8/rYo_mVMW6DE/s1600/army_squirrel.jpg

you mean these little guys???!

Originposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's more like it big_smile Uh huh..

3. torimari profile image70
    torimariposted 14 years ago

I'd consider us more the disease-spreading parasites of the world before a lil' squirrel (or rat!). :]

1. myownworld profile image71
      myownworldposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol... so true!

4. Randy Godwin profile image61
    Randy Godwinposted 14 years ago

I love squirrels, they taste great!  Yep, big rats with bushy tails.  Flying squirrels are fun to watch though!  A friend raised some once and they only get active at night.  I was surprised at the different color patterns of these fascinating creatures. 

Down here we have fox squirrels.  These black, gray, red, and other colored animals are many times bigger than a gray or red squirrel.  I will try to take some photos of them for those unfamiliar with this species.  They are becoming very rare in some areas of Georgia.

5. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/fashion/stylephile/squirrel2.jpg

what's this about tree rats??

Haha good one smile

6. Simple Tim profile image59
    Simple Timposted 14 years ago

They are quite cute...I prefer the red tailed ones to the grey ones which seem to be more rodent like.

I have an albino squirrel that runs around my neighborhood, pretty cool looking.

7. Jerami profile image60
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

I had a dozen little gray squirrels I was feeding until a red tailed hawk started perching about 20 feet away from their feeder. Quit feeding the squirrels.  Goina start doing the corn again sinse I haven't seen the hawks for a couple a weeks.

I've heard that the Fox squirrels chase the gray ones away??

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
      Randy Godwinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've never witnessed a fox squirrel interacting with gray ones.  They both love pecans and raid our trees in the fall.  The males of both species (no red ones here) will sneak into the nests of young baby squirrels and castrate the males of the litter to keep them from competing with them in breeding season.  Still sound cute?

Just their way of avoiding conflict in the days to come.
        Lets congregate that old fart for his wisdom????
           I do at least.

8. Polly C profile image86
    Polly Cposted 14 years ago

I think they are lovely, and there are lots around here. Though it is a shame the grey ones have threatened the native red ones with extinction here in Britain.

9. Sage Williams profile image59
    Sage Williamsposted 14 years ago

I absolutely adore them, they are wonderful creatures of nature.  While my daughter sees them quite differently.

10. Greek One profile image62
    Greek Oneposted 14 years ago

i don't like them, but I can live with squirrels...

it's these guys i hate...

http://www.rubiconcoaching.ca/wp/wp-content/raccoon.jpg

A friend of mine found six of um in a storage shed; about six weeks old. He is raising them to sell as pets.
        Are ya sure you don't want a baby one??

1. Greek One profile image62
        Greek Oneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Living in Canada, I can probably round up a couple hundred of them in a day or so.

Where does your friend live?  Maybe we can set up an export business

He is thinking being trained for a lap pet they will bring more than that.  For food yea about $25 should be about right.

Farm goats taste like venison if ya clean them right.

They parboil the coon and then cook them with assorted peppers, spices and onions. 

Bar-be-cue goat is wonderful if prepared right.  Mmmm...gotta get a drool bucket!

2. Randy Godwin profile image61

Raccoons bring $25.00 a head down here in late fall and winter.  Some people I know eat one a week.  No raccoon problem here!

cougars up here fetch $100 per head

Get them to eat the coons!

they just like young meat.. more of the human boy variety

2. Jerami profile image60

I remember eating raccoon as a child.  tasted kinda like rabbit if I remember correctly.  I bet seasoned right they would be tasty slow smoked over pecan wood, or hickory for that matter.

11. Origin profile image59
    Originposted 14 years ago

That reminds me of...

http://www.myballard.com/images/possum_poster.jpg

big_smile

what the hell is that?  a rat ? a possum?

A possum I think

2. Randy Godwin profile image61

A gray opossum will bite the heck out of you.  Filthy creatures!  They will live inside of a large dead animal while they consume the carcass.  People say they taste like pork and lots of them were consumed during "Hoover Days."

how did this forum become about my ex?

Gray opossum not gray "cougar," Greek!

http://totallylookslike.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/avril-lavigne2.jpg

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
                SomewayOuttaHereposted 14 years agoin reply to this

poor avril! I won't be able to look at her the same way again........smile  too bad the opossum didn't have a bow too.

I got the bow in the divorce

12. JulesGerome profile image60
    JulesGeromeposted 14 years ago

lol

13. K Partin profile image59
    K Partinposted 14 years ago

I wrote a hub about a little squirrel friend of mine....they can be pretty darn intelligent, more then some humans I know! smile

14. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 14 years ago

Eddie Izzard - adults only squirrel imitation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e_88G4TY_w

"did I leave the gas on?"

15. Jerami profile image60
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

Smoked a duck once; stuffed it with oranges cause that is all I had, Turned out pretty good.

Smoked  A 5 lb. catfish stuffed with onions to take out the oily fishie taste was also great.

With the Goat you just can't let any of the hair touch the meat while butchering it is all.

I have always heard this said but I'm not sure this is true.  Old timers have said this but didn't give any indication why.  It's almost impossible to butcher a goat, deer, or any other animal with fur or hair, without some getting on the meat. 

Do you know the reason?

Cleaned quite a few of both back in the good old days.     With goats we always kept a water hose ready for rinsing off the hair. Didn't with deer.
        Tasted some bad tasting goat once that they said was because of not keeping the hair off it.  Don't really know what the diffrence between deer and goat hair ?????

We always use a water hose on any animal we process.  Deer are just goats who can jump higher and run faster, IMO!

When we butchered deer They were Butchered then washed and  covered in ice within 30 minutes. With Goats we kept hosing them down while shinning, then same process as with deer.. ????

16. profile image0
    Kathryn LJposted 14 years ago

I tried some cajun squirrel crisps once.  They were quite boring.  We have squirrels that invade the house from time to time and something much larger called a gliss gliss.  It uses the mouse traps to curl its eyelashes.  I hide when I hear it.

17. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3165/2292490392_876b810130.jpg

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That is both funny and sad...

1. lightning john profile image60
        lightning johnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That was a mama squirrel, bad soldiers!

18. profile image0

LOL and sick, twisted? I know. Had to share it tho'.

19. profile image0

http://www.personal.psu.edu/dmd7/Yardlife/dead-squirrel-Ellie.jpg

1. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

"It is funny, cuz squirrel is dead" from UP.....

20. profile image0

If it ain't dead I am sure it is in severe pain. Poor thing.

21. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Cute little creatures smile

Deers are flowers eliminating monsters though big_smile

22. Glimmer515 profile image61
    Glimmer515posted 14 years ago

SUPER CUTE!!
    http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu118/littlemissrolltide/Squirrel.jpg

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)