How do you make homemade olive oil using home grown olives?
I am hoping that following your comment on my "Best vegetables to grow for profit" hub, you can answer this based on yours and your Husband's experience. I have an olive tree, (very small right now), but would love to make my own olive oil in the future but would like to know how easy it is to do.
This is a bit complicated, Cindy, for being made at home, at least if one has more olive trees. We have here very long tradition of preparing olive oil - so we have on almost every island (and in the towns on the coast) small "factories" which have all equipment for preparation of natural olive oil. So - people deliver their olives to the "factory" - (olive oil processor) and get their own olive oil.
From the one grown up olive tree one gets aprox 3-5 litres (6-10 lb) of olive oil .
But here is the whole cold procedure of preparation, with one olive tree and little effort, I belive it can be done at home as well :
1. The olives are washed to remove leaves, sand, debris etc.
2. Olives are then crushed into a paste .
3. Paste is mixed for approx. 40mins to bring together the microscopic oil molecules.
4. Olive paste is pressed to separate the oil/water mixture from the solids (this is a bit difficult part,you need olive oil press for that, but I belive that it might be possible to use wine press for that step, or...be inventive).
5. Oil is separated from the water
6. The oil is finally cleared by filtration (not nessessary).
by theframjak4 months ago
Can I use canola oil to make hummus?I love hummus and most recipes call for olive oil. I was wondering if anyone has used any other oils such as canola and how it turned out.
by Elena7 years ago
What is the significance of using Olive oil for anointing in Church?All I know is Olive oil is used in churches and if it's given to me and its running low, I just add baby oil to it. Why do they only use Olive...
by Versatile Health6 years ago
Just want to get a quick tally of how many people on this forum are using vegetable oil to cook with still. I have been doing a lot of research lately about the dangers associated with cooking with these oils and want...
by Cynthia Calhoun4 years ago
What is the best oil to use for cooking? Olive oil? Canola? Coconut?
by ChilliWilly7 years ago
If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?
by shriash7 years ago
1. olive oil2. corn oil3. cocount oil4. sunflower oil
Copyright © 2018 HubPages Inc. and respective owners.
Other product and company names shown may be trademarks of their respective owners.
HubPages® is a registered Service Mark of HubPages, Inc.
HubPages and Hubbers (authors) may earn revenue on this page based on affiliate relationships and advertisements with partners including Amazon, Google, and others.