jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (11 posts)

What is the best oil to use for cooking? Olive oil? Canola? Coconut?

1. cclitgirl profile image96
    cclitgirlposted 4 years ago

What is the best oil to use for cooking? Olive oil? Canola? Coconut?

2. Kevina Oyatedor profile image67
    Kevina Oyatedorposted 4 years ago

Olive oil is good. We use it when we fry french fries. But it's good for other things.

3. Faith Reaper profile image88
    Faith Reaperposted 4 years ago

Olive oil is best to me and really good for you too.

4. M. T. Dremer profile image95
    M. T. Dremerposted 4 years ago

Each of those three have been the 'best' at one point or another. I'm starting to think that the person doing the studies is a troll. As of right now, I think Coconut is regarded as the healthiest. But I wouldn't be surprised if that changes in the next six months.

5. Just Ask Susan profile image90
    Just Ask Susanposted 4 years ago

Coconut oil is great when you're cooking fish as you don't get that fishy odor after you're done cooking. Not sure which oil is the best but I use all 3 depending on what I"m cooking or have on hand.

6. sylvia13 profile image69
    sylvia13posted 4 years ago

We are great believers in olive oil and we use it for our salad dressings and cooking.

7. bravewarrior profile image91
    bravewarriorposted 4 years ago

I use coconut oil for frying and baking. It's much more healthy for the body, does not alter the flavor of the food and withstands high heat levels. Also, a little goes a long way. I don't use canola oil at all anymore, although I used to. Olive oil is good for raw foods and salads. It can also be used in cooking on top of the stove. Adding a little butter to it, thickens sauces and adds a rich flavor. Of all the oils, extra virgin olive oil (cold-pressed) and organic pure coconut oil are the healthiest.

1. bravewarrior profile image91
      bravewarriorposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Awesome! Thanx Cyndi. I'm glad you found this helpful.

8. peachpurple profile image83
    peachpurpleposted 4 years ago

i used sunflower oil and peanut oil. Canola and the others are too expensive for me

9. randomcreative profile image92
    randomcreativeposted 4 years ago

I use olive oil for cooking and canola oil for baking (i.e. cakes, brownies). Sometimes I use olive oil for salad dressings, and my husband and I like to dip fresh bread in it. I've never used coconut oil, but I would love to pick some up for baking. There are so many great recipes with coconut oil.

10. teaches12345 profile image94
    teaches12345posted 4 years ago

I use all three for various meal preparations, even salads. Lately, we have been using sunflower oil for the healthier benefits as a cooking and salad oil  Coconut is wonderful in your morning coffee as it helps fight body fat.  I know this probably does not answer your questions, but in short, they all have their value.

working