jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

What about choosing colors for a room, that has me stumped. Any advice on that

1. SteveoMc profile image75
    SteveoMcposted 7 years ago

What about choosing colors for a room, that has me stumped.   Any advice on that?

Would like to achieve a sophisticated yet masculine look.   No pink please!  Room is long and narrow....want a color scheme that warms the room and makes it look less like a hall.   Should we use a contrast on the end or one of the long walls?

2. hellokatelyn profile image59
    hellokatelynposted 7 years ago

Don't worry, I wouldn't suggest pink if you're going for a masculine look!

Most people think of dark colors for a "masculine" room but frankly a dark room is a dreary room. I'm guessing you want a happier space since you say you want to brighten it up.

I would go with warm brown, latte-like colors with darker accents, like navy blue.

I think one of the walls would be a better choice for contrast. Contrast on the end might end up looking like a destination, where as contrast on a long wall would follow throughout the room.

Hope that helps!

3. dawnM profile image66
    dawnMposted 7 years ago

yes, I can help you, as an interior designer for 12 years and licensed contractor.  Go to your local paint store, bfing in sample of what colors you have in your home and ask them to give you complimentary colors to go with it, they offer that now!!!!  I use paint that has no VOC's--no smell or toxins.  One bit of advice, in a room with natural light go with a darker color and then have them do one shade lighter fo the halls----good luck!

4. ptosis profile image75
    ptosisposted 7 years ago

The darker the color - the smaller the room. So if want dark color then just do that in accents. NEVER have a RED ceiling! OMG! Are you friggin crazy?

5. SteveoMc profile image75
    SteveoMcposted 7 years ago

Thanks for all the answers....who said anything about a red ceiling?  LOL

6. Pro Design Source profile image59
    Pro Design Sourceposted 7 years ago

Selecting paint colors can be very confusing because there are so many choices. A trick that I like to use is to find a fabric with a pattern and use those colors in the fabric as a palette for the room.

For a masculine room, I would look in his closet for maybe the guy's favorite tie, or perhaps a sweater. Most masculine rooms have more texture than patterns. For instance, instead of a floral fabric for a window curtain, a solid open weave linen would work well.

For more about How to Select Paint Colors check out this hub :

7. Tirzah Laughs profile image81
    Tirzah Laughsposted 7 years ago

How about a nice deep pumpkin with a lighter trim?   You could also do a deep buttery color.   

Something with warmth but in a less in your face color.