Is Zoysia grass a good turf-grass choice for home lawns in San Diego?

1. profile image47
    sd_lawnposted 7 years ago

Is Zoysia grass a good turf-grass choice for home lawns in San Diego?

Ben, thank you for this excellent article.  Would you care to answer a few questions?
    1) "Zoysia will turn yellow and brown pretty quickly if the temperature dips down below 55 degrees", does Zoysia turn brown in San Diego too?  If so, for how many months in the winter?
    2) Does Zoysia require significantly more maintenance than Tall Fescue?
    3) Are any sod farms in San Diego who grow and sell Zoysia sod?

2. Benjimester profile image94
    Benjimesterposted 7 years ago

Those are some good questions.  I'm actually not sure if there are any Zoysia sod farms in SD.  I know that mostly San Diego deals with St Augustine, Fescue, and a few others.  I hope there's at least some place around here that does Zoysia.  As far as Zoysia turning brown or yellow in winter, unless we have a very cold winter, you shouldn't have to worry at all.  I put the official specifications into the article just to be on the safe side.  I've never seen a golf course in SD with yellow and brown grass, and a lot of them use Zoysia around here I'm told.

If I were you, I'd first see if there are any local Zoysia sod dealers in SD.  If there are, I'd call them and ask about their particular breed, since there are multiple types of Zoysia.  I would think that there is at least one breed of Zoysia that's perfect for San Diego weather.

3. Wilsonsorin2011 profile image54
    Wilsonsorin2011posted 6 years ago

Actually i am not sure about it but i know that artificial grass is the best for the garden and if you want this then order now at