jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

What are views of the San Diego Chargers moving to LA announced Thur 1-12-17?

1. tsmog profile image82
    tsmogposted 15 months ago

What are views of the San Diego Chargers moving to LA announced Thur 1-12-17?

The Chargers moved from LA to San Diego in 1967. The played in LA since originated in 1959. They played in SD for 49 years. The issue deciding the move was a new stadium that spanned some 10+ years. Did San Diego fail to make good on a new stadium, so it is the city's fault for the move? Should Dean Spanos have elected to stay and work out a new stadium on good faith? The Chargers will be sharing a stadium with the Rams. Is that a good thing for the NFL? What are your views?

2. Alternative Prime profile image76
    Alternative Primeposted 15 months ago

From ZERO to 2 NFL Teams 4 Los Angeles & SURROUNDING Counties?? I'm surprised it took this long ~ Notwithstanding San Diego POLITICs & Fans who will surely be DISSAPPOINTED with their MOVE until they can attract another team, It's absolutely a good thing 4 L.A. & Orange Counties considering we are home to roughly 20 MILLION Californians that live within "GAME Distance" ~ Population GROWTH will GUARANTEE we can continue to support them ~ I FEEL 4 San Diego though ~

1. tsmog profile image82
      tsmogposted 15 months agoin reply to this

I am sure Spanos considered the opportunity to move to a greater market. The odds of filling the stands every game are much greater even if mood is low with losing season. But, how long to build rapport I question.

3. lions44 profile image97
    lions44posted 15 months ago

It's sad because the NFL has the $$ to finance any stadium it wants. But sticks to its own business model (bleed local community dry).  But voters in SD did vote "No" on the proposed facility financing plan. Can't blame them.  San Diego is a beautiful place and it will do fine.  Spanos is not as rich as the other owners and not as adept at making $$. That explains a lot.

Upside for owners: Tickets will be at a premium for their 30K seat soccer place and they'll make lots of $$.

Next to go, the Raiders.

1. tsmog profile image82

Your right the politics and finances of the last vote was confusing for some. Also, it was San Diego City proper vote and not county. If it was county financed somehow there may have been a better chance? Yup on Raiders? A fight ahead I guess . . .

4. Mel Carriere profile image93
    Mel Carriereposted 15 months ago

I live in San Diego.  The Chargers are dead to me now.  I'm going back to being a Raider fan, like I was before I moved here.

1. tsmog profile image82

I live in Escondido. I have always been a Cowboy fan, but always enjoyed being able to watch the Charger season games. Now, games will be jumbled. I don't have ESPN or sports channels, so I am limited to local TV channels broadcasts.

working