do sleeping on bare cool floor cause severe back pain and whats its reason?

1. profile image50
    tprasureshposted 7 years ago

do sleeping on bare cool floor cause severe back pain and whats  its reason?

2. Darrke Thoughts profile image59
    Darrke Thoughtsposted 7 years ago

Sleeping on the floor... no.  I used to do this all the time without pain.  Cold may be a cause of pain as it affects the joints if you have any kind of inflamatory condition, even mild it may aggravate it.  The biggest source of back pain when sleeping I've had myself has been due to extra weight, especially around the belly. The extra weight tends to push/pull your spine out of alignment while you sleep and leave you stiff in the morning.  Even in a good bed.

3. Just For Fun profile image92
    Just For Funposted 7 years ago

I can't speak as any kind of medical professional but I've slept many nights camping outdoors and also sleeping on the floor indoors. I have always heard growing up that the cold from a bare floor can cause pain after a while (perhaps on the joints as Darrke Thoughts says), but I haven't read any studies on this.

I also agree that a person's body weight and posture has a lot to do with your comfort. I am a thin/average 29 year old and personally can be comfortable on a floor with a sleeping mat and sleeping bag, sleeping on my sides, stomach, or back.

But everyone's different so please get more opinions from other people if you are worried about waking up sore. Another trick people use with bad backs is laying on their back on a carpeted floor with a large pillow under their knees. (Looks like you're sitting on a chair, but on your back) This takes pressure off of your lower back I believe.

working