jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

Does pain scare you?

1. Lor's Stories profile image60
    Lor's Storiesposted 4 years ago

Does pain scare you?

I've noticed many people are afraid of pain.
    Whether it be a needle or facing surgery.
    What scares you about the pain?

2. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 4 years ago

Yes, severe pain scares me. I think it has to do with lack of control, but also an episode of surgical awareness.

I hate the idea of being in pain and not being able to get away from it. I need to have a hip replaced and am absolutely phobic about post operative pain. People say - they will give you pain meds. Well, that is another phobia of mine - taking any pain meds.

1. Lor's Stories profile image60
      Lor's Storiesposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Can I offer you advice. I had plates and screws put in my spine and skull last year. And yes it hurts. It's painful but they are finding more ways to be less invasive. They get you out of bed and moving fast. Just breathe:)

3. ketage profile image81
    ketageposted 4 years ago

Depends on how severe the pain is, I think all normal people have a healthy respect for pain, little things do not worry me to much, I have broken a few bones in my life, my nose twice, my toes twice, my knuckles twice, all those were pretty OK.
    I have been cut by a knife a couple of times, and I have a very healthy respect for knife cuts. I would say that is the kind of pain I hate the most. That feeling when your skin splits is just weird, I don't really know how to describe it, but it just feels wrong.

4. innerspin profile image94
    innerspinposted 4 years ago

Interesting question. While I don't like physical pain, it doesn't scare me. I'm quite good at detaching myself from what's going on, like an observer. It's hard to know your own pain threshold compared to others, but a midwife told me I have a high tolerance.

If the cause of pain is unknown, that's a worry, and I'll pay greater attention to it until diagnosed. Once I know the cause, I can tune out, and leave it as "background noise" to a large extent.

5. sasanqua profile image82
    sasanquaposted 4 years ago

Pain often scares me, although I tolerate it quite well. I am absolutely terrified of the pain associated with childbirth though! I've never given birth and am not considering it at the present time, but I think about the future and I worry!

6. cat on a soapbox profile image96
    cat on a soapboxposted 4 years ago

Pain is miserable, especially living with constant pain. Does it scare me? No, not unless I'm unsure of its cause.

working