jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

What happened to "Made in the USA"?

1. akirchner profile image96
    akirchnerposted 6 years ago

What happened to "Made in the USA"?

Almost every product I pick up is made in another country - what has happened to made in the USA and better yet, how can we turn this around?

2. The Bucket Lister profile image62
    The Bucket Listerposted 6 years ago

Outsourcing is a lot cheaper than "made in USA". Until labor in the US becomes as cheap as it is in, say, Asian countries, for example, it won't turn around. It's not just labor either, customer service, call centers, engineers, ... It's just cheaper abroad.

3. Hound Cat profile image60
    Hound Catposted 6 years ago

Unfortunately, everything is being outsourced to India and China.  Another casualty of the excessive greed of corporate management and unions.  There must be incentives and pressure from the private sector to get our country its jobs back.

4. Naomi's Banner profile image79
    Naomi's Bannerposted 6 years ago

When USA gets off their high horse and gets rid of the Union where wages have gone to all time highs then we may get to go back to made in the USA.  We demand such a high price for labor in this country that our product has priced its way out of the market.

5. Deborah-Diane profile image83
    Deborah-Dianeposted 6 years ago

It is getting so hard to find products that have been made in the USA.  ABC news has made this issue a bit of a crusade.  I hope this has an impact on people, and causes them to pause and looke for products that are made in America whenever they can!

6. The Ghostwriter profile image75
    The Ghostwriterposted 6 years ago

Pretty much the same as 'Made in England'.

Unions, immigrants and cheap exports

7. profile image0
    vinsanityposted 6 years ago

Things got too expensive to pay workers here a high wage when someone else could do it for almost nothing.

8. JayeWisdom profile image91
    JayeWisdomposted 6 years ago

I actually use search engines to look for products carrying the "Made in the USA" label, and even then they may be made in the USA with materials from another country!

One of the biggest problem with imported goods is that some of the countries that produce these goods do not have stringent safety regulations.

Go ahead and buy a pair of shoes with a "Made in China" label on the bottom of the sole and see if you don't throw them away once you realize you can never (even with days of airing them outdoors) get rid of that toxic chemical smell they exude!

I buy a lot of items online, but shoes will not feature in this list again, for the reason described above.

Even many of the so-called "green" tote bags on display at supermarkets and other stores that were made in China have been found to contain toxic chemicals. 

Buyer beware!

working