jump to last post 1-16 of 16 discussions (16 posts)

What do you do when the power goes out?

1. pedrn44 profile image94
    pedrn44posted 6 years ago

What do you do when the power goes out?

Last night I lit a few candles and did Soduko puzzles. Too quiet...not much one can do without electricity. So, what do you do?

2. Greenhousewife profile image83
    Greenhousewifeposted 6 years ago

Light some candles and knit a few rows on what ever project I'm working on.

3. Deborah-Diane profile image84
    Deborah-Dianeposted 6 years ago

We have two battery operated flourescent lamps that we use when the electricity goes out.  They throw off good light, so we can read, play cards or play games.  We also have a gas grill and barbecue.  It's actually a lot of fun!

4. Extinct Soul profile image57
    Extinct Soulposted 6 years ago

It's kinda funny cause when the power goes out here in my place, it was the only time that I get a bonding time with my cousins. Since we can't do our solo routines, we get together in the frontyard, bring the guitar out and sing our lungs out like frogs praying for rain..smile)

5. profile image0
    msivakumarposted 6 years ago

Light few candles, listen to your favorite songs in your mp3 player
    and just lay down.

Better option would be to spend some time with your family members - talk to them on some random subjects or have some banter. You will realize how much fun we miss because of the electricity !!! (due to which the TV is on, due to which there is less interaction in a family ......)

6. pedrn44 profile image94
    pedrn44posted 6 years ago

Funny...I was home alone. The power went out at 6:30pm and never came back on before I packed my food in coolers and took it to a friend's house this afternoon! These are great answers, give me food for thought the next time it goes out and add so much to the discussion! Thanks:)

7. Anna Black profile image58
    Anna Blackposted 6 years ago

I take the time to reconnect with my family. It's nice to unplug for a bit from the TV, computer, etc and just visit and spend quality time together.

8. sonia05 profile image61
    sonia05posted 6 years ago

When the power goes out,i take out chairs in the open balcony and practice my singing. Even though I dont have a great voice, I love to sing and thats the only time I get time to practice!

9. twilanelson profile image60
    twilanelsonposted 6 years ago

When the power goes out at our house my family gets out the table games.

10. jacqui2011 profile image85
    jacqui2011posted 6 years ago

My first reaction would have been to "panic!" Not anymore, you made me think, so now I have put a box of matches and some candles in the front of the cupboard so I will be prepared. Not had a power cut for a while, but now I'm looking forward to it!! Thanks for a great question which really made me think.

11. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 6 years ago

Keep a flashlight handy. I know I do. Candles work too if you have the right partner and he's looking rather gorgeous. Of course, that's all very subjective... they say that beauty is just a lightswitch away!

12. lmarsh1203 profile image60
    lmarsh1203posted 6 years ago

Find a flashlight and light candles. (So really my first inclination was to say run around naked, but that seemed inappropriate:)

13. danielleantosz profile image74
    danielleantoszposted 6 years ago

My folks have a generator, and will even hook up their TV!  I usually go out or go to bed!

14. laidbacklady profile image77
    laidbackladyposted 6 years ago

Well, I always have candles handy--our power goes out often.  I then listen to my kids panic for a minute, especially if the power goes out after dark.  We have a very small generator we can hook up out on the deck and I can plug the coffee maker into it and make a pot for hubby and me.  Then the kids will want to snack, and because we have a gas top stove with electronic ignition, the burners can be lit with a match and I can make them whatever they want.  Then I will either read by candle light or LED lantern light.  The kids will play their handheld games, if they are fully charged.  Hubby will play with the pups.  We do try not to open the fridge so what is in there can retain its cold.  I also like to enjoy the quiet time without the gadgets and the television.

15. sangre profile image97
    sangreposted 6 years ago

Have a battery operated radio nearby so you can listen to it, to pass the time and have some candles and a lighter or even a torch handy.

And if you really want to have some fun, tell ghost stories.

16. Express10 profile image88
    Express10posted 5 years ago

The power went out for about 15 minutes during Hurricane Sandy and I played chess on my computer. We were very lucky during that storm.