jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

If a tree falls and no one is there to hear it, does it make any noise?

1. chasemillis profile image67
    chasemillisposted 6 years ago

If a tree falls and no one is there to hear it, does it make any noise?

I know it's been asked a thousand times, I say yes!

2. chspublish profile image79
    chspublishposted 6 years ago

I love your question, because it makes one think about the answer. It's so easy to say 'yes' the tree makes a noise, but if someone doesn't hear it, who's to say it makes a noise.
    I suppose we have to step back and be universal in our assessment of things and say that a heavy object when it falls through the pressure of gravity - or some such -    will  be capable of a large sound on contact with the ground.
    I wonder what you would like to say here?
    But hey...you have me thinking here and i'd say that is the object of your question - isn't it?

3. profile image0
    ThomasRydderposted 6 years ago

Well...there are a couple different ways to look at it. From a scientific point of view, and knowing the basics of physics, you'd have to accept the fact that the sound emanates as a result of the impact of the tree, and the lack of anyone being near enough to hear it is not relative to the question. On the philisophical side, the absence of everyone makes any sound the tree makes useless and without merit.
    Sorry...not much of an answer, I guess..but hey...if a question is asked and no one is there to answer, was it ever really asked?

4. samtenabray profile image61
    samtenabrayposted 6 years ago

i have got to agree with you and say yes!

5. Curiad profile image78
    Curiadposted 6 years ago

No it does not make noise. It does create energy waves which are simply a disturbance of the air surrounding the object. Those waves are only that, waves until they strike the eardrum of a being that has the conciousness that makes them able to register those waves as sound. The word "noise" is a term used to describe those waves after they strike our eardrums.

So given these facts, no it does not make noise smile

working