jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Is cleaning and painting the entire home every year a part of your Christmas in

1. yols-a profile image61
    yols-aposted 6 years ago

Is cleaning and painting the entire home every year a part of your Christmas in your country?

2. gzbraniac profile image60
    gzbraniacposted 6 years ago

Wow, I've never heard of that tradition . . . so, no. Sounds like a lotta work!

3. plussize-lingerie profile image61
    plussize-lingerieposted 6 years ago

No, we have what is called Spring Cleaning, which is March/April when the whole house is supposed to be cleaned through, and aired, and repairs done after the winter. Traditionally walls would be whitewashed as well then, but as paint lasts longer these days, it doesn't tend to be done as much.

Personally, as we're in the UK, we leave it until Summer when there's a chance (normally a small one) of some decent weather to do the painting in.

Spring Cleaning is predominately North Europe and North America: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_cleaning

4. yols-a profile image61
    yols-aposted 6 years ago

Oh yes in Trinidad people literally turn their houses upside down and do pretty up their houses into the wee hours of christmas while they bake cake and all the other niceties associated with Christmas some people don't have a meal until late christmas day

5. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

No, but it sounds like a good tradition.

6. Cara.R profile image76
    Cara.Rposted 6 years ago

I live in the USA, in a small town in New York. In my life painting and cleaning is not part of my Christmas. I think cleaning during Christmas time happens if you chose to clean your house before decorating it and choosing the place where you want your Christmas tree to stand in your home.

7. profile image0
    Ashlea Bposted 6 years ago

Not so much.  I am from the USA living in the mid-west.  Like someone else mentioned, our cleaning is typically done in the spring... 'Spring Cleaning."   Spring and Fall where I live has the best temperature to open the windows, let in the fresh air, paint, clean, etc.  Now, I don't paint yearly, nor am I always the best at thoroughly Spring Cleaning, but that is the times of year where it makes the most sense.   Christmas seems busy enough here with shopping, parties, decorating for Christmas, spending time with family, etc.

8. Bamboo Flooring profile image60
    Bamboo Flooringposted 6 years ago

No we don`t paint the house every year as part of Christmas, we might give the house a good clean if we are having people around.
    The only time we would paint the house is if it is a new house or we are going to sell.