jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Does anyone have inexpensive suggestions for a shady, poorly drained back yard i

1. kschimmel profile image49
    kschimmelposted 6 years ago

Does anyone have inexpensive suggestions for a shady, poorly drained back yard in North Carolina?

I can't even grow weeds in some spots!

2. Deborah-Diane profile image80
    Deborah-Dianeposted 6 years ago

We used to have a shady, poorly drained frontyard in Texas.  We installed a few raised flower beds (using railroad ties, but anything similar would work).  The raised beds were filled with loose peat, and planted with azaleas.  They were gorgeous in the spring, and provided lush greenery the rest of the year.

3. ringlawncare profile image62
    ringlawncareposted 6 years ago

Core aeration and shaded grass seed. If your problem is also that of wash out, you may want to consider digging a trench 6-8" deep to create proper drainage. It's cheep, but work. It will not answer all your drainage issues but it will help. I guarantee you there is either a post in HUBS or on the net for DIY about "How to"  Good Luck

4. davenmidtown profile image89
    davenmidtownposted 6 years ago

I would first look at what is causing the shade... tree's sometimes leech chemicals around their base that prevent plants to grow there. Pine trees are a great example as they leech turpentine and not very many things will grow in that environment.  There are shade loving plants such as ferns, moss, and maybe even some orchids... If you plan a garden outward from the trees, in the lighter shaded areas flowers like Pansy, viola, begonia and even hydrangea may grow.  Identifying the trees causing the shade would be my first step.

working