jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (12 posts)

What do you do when a tree falls on your house?

1. Paul Edmondson profile image
    Paul Edmondsonposted 6 years ago

What do you do when a tree falls on your house?

In a good sized storm a tree blew overand landed on my house.  Should I call my insurance first or should I call someone to cut it down?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6065961_f260.jpg

2. Victoria Lynn profile image90
    Victoria Lynnposted 6 years ago

Depends on the damage and how much you think it might cost. If it isn't major, I'd just call someone to take care of it. When we had the big ice storm here in 2009, people used their insurance companies, but many were screwed as their companies paid them a big some of money and then raised their insurance premiums. If that's the case, over an amount of time, it wouldn't be worth it. I would consider what you know about your insurance company. If you think your premium will rise, and you can afford to pay to have the tree taken care of (if there's no roof damage?), I wouldn't call the insurance company. I hope this helps.

3. puter_dr profile image85
    puter_drposted 6 years ago

I would really think it would depend on the size of the tree and amount of damage it caused. If your house is subject to further damage because of the tree, then perhaps get it gone and call the insurance co.
    Good Luck

4. davenmidtown profile image87
    davenmidtownposted 6 years ago

I would call you insurance company first in case they need to take photographs.  If the house is not structurally safe then obviously evacuate. Your insurance company may have contracts with people or companies  in your area that they will want to do the work.  If the damage is small I would also consider paying for it yourself as you may pay for it anyway in the form of policy rate hikes.

5. relache profile image89
    relacheposted 6 years ago

First, take pictures of the whole thing from every angle.  Sometimes you have to deal with the physical tree removal for safety reasons and can't wait for the insurance guys to decide what they want.  This covers you.

If the tree poses a danger or might cause further damage if left where it is, by all means, call tree trimmers and get that taken care of before the situation gets worse.  But try and call your insurance company and find out what they recommend if you don't have a copy of your policy on-hand to find out what they do and don't cover.

6. MickS profile image72
    MickSposted 6 years ago

Quickly get out.

7. Earth Angel profile image75
    Earth Angelposted 6 years ago

1. Make sure the family and pets are safe (I know you did this);
    2. Make sure there aren't any hot electrical wires damaged/exposed;
    Once safety is assured then
    3. Take numerous photos from every angle;
    4. Make sure to mitigate any further damage, like rain leaking on wooden floors;
    5. Call your insurance company for an Emergency Adjuster if you think it will be costly to repair ~ otherwise skip this step;
    6. Call a tree removal service if the tree is rooted on your property ~ or call the City/County if the tree is on public property but fell on your house.
    So sorry this happened! Blessings to all of you! Earth Angel!!

8. Les Trois Chenes profile image92
    Les Trois Chenesposted 6 years ago

Insurance company. They will try anything to get out of paying sometimes. I'm sorry to hear of your problems. We are called 'Les Trois Chenes' - the three oaks, so I'm very sympathetic!

9. DzyMsLizzy profile image97
    DzyMsLizzyposted 6 years ago

1.First, let out  with a string of language foul enough to make a sailor blush...
    2. get everyone out..including pets,
    3.call my insurer, and hope to goodness that it is not excluded under some damned-fool "acts of god" clause.
    4. Swear some more.
    5. Find out if some agency can fund temp housing for us..
    6.  Call mortgage company....
    7. Next time, don't plant trees close to house... 
    8. finish swearing

10. rutley profile image73
    rutleyposted 6 years ago

Fire up the old chainsaw what else!  Free firewood is the only positive thing your gonna get from this...Sorry!

11. profile image51
    watson mariaposted 4 years ago

For more information I would like to suggest you to www.refusedhouseinsurance.com. They have information about all the types of house insurance in the UK.

12. garyluther profile image39
    garylutherposted 4 years ago

I call the Instant Shade Inc in Illinois if such kind of problems happens..

working