jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Can you grow vegetables from seeds in plain compost, or do you have to mix the c

1. Naima Manal profile image74
    Naima Manalposted 6 years ago

Can you grow vegetables from seeds in plain compost, or do you have to mix the compost with soil?

2. Open Mind Mitch profile image85
    Open Mind Mitchposted 6 years ago

Yes you can, but any soil you use may contain have hidden pests/diseases in it that can quickly overcome young seedlings so it would be better to mix your compost with horticultual grit, to improve the drainage whilst the seed 'sprouts' and grows on.

3. davenmidtown profile image86
    davenmidtownposted 6 years ago

Seeds to grow in just compost and what Mitch says is true... it is better however, to mix a little bit of compost with regular garden soil and grow your seeds. When summer comes, compost dries out quickly whereas regular rich garden soil will stay moist and hold water longer. I would recommend a 25% compost, 65% soil and 10% vermiculite as a soil mixture for most vegetables. The compost will provided extra nutrients, the soil will help hold the root structures and moisture and the vermiculite will add a water absorption factor and help to keep the soil lose so the plants can grow good roots.

4. The Dirt Farmer profile image95
    The Dirt Farmerposted 6 years ago

Hi Naima! Could you describe what you mean by "plain compost"? Is it compost that you've made at home? And ... what's it like? I'm guessing that you're planning to start your seeds indoors, right?

5. Patsybell profile image87
    Patsybellposted 6 years ago

Compost is a gardeners best friend but it is not the ideal choice for seed starting. Short answer: yes you can. The better idea is to use the compost in the container or garden after the plants are firmly established and growing. (and can really use the nutrients)

Compost is nutrient dense and just not necessary for seed starting. My suggestion is to use it where your plants will benifit the most from Gardeners Gold, the compost.

A light, airy seed starting mix is ideal for seed starting. You can even make your own seed starting mix by combining coconut fiber or peat moss with equal amounts of the compost and a hand full of vermiculite.

This will help you stretch your valuable compost.

6. Naima Manal profile image74
    Naima Manalposted 6 years ago

Patsybell, thank you for the advice. I hope to get started next month with the garden, so I'll start gathering the essentials.

working