Do you recommend buying African Violet leaves online? Is it better to just buy

1. GinnyLee profile image91
    GinnyLeeposted 6 years ago

Do you recommend buying African Violet leaves online?  Is it better to just buy the plant?

2. thoughthole profile image93
    thoughtholeposted 6 years ago

I had never heard of this before so I went ahead and looked it up after reading your question and indeed there are African Violet leaves for sale. My answer is go to your local indoor plant nursery and buy a plant. I work for a high end greenhouse nursery and we sell African Violets for $5 to $6 each, we also have a wide selection of color varieties, I doubt that indoor plant retailers in other places are much different. The web site I looked up had 2 leaves for $14.95, that seems extreme for something that may or may not even turn into a viable plant in the end. I did not even consider until now that they would probably charge shipping as well. It does not seem worth it, just go buy a plant.

3. samsons1 profile image78
    samsons1posted 6 years ago

I tend to agree with thoughthole on this.  I don't know where you are located but it seems there should be a local nursery of maybe a farmers market nearby to help you in saving postage and handling charges.  I have written at least one hub on the simpleness of Afican Violets to their care and am considering a new one (I've already taken the pictures).  If you were nearby my wife would gladly give you a few leaves to get started.  Please examine locally before you invest or use a lot of your money...